cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karen49

August Quitters

I am approaching 90 days. I quit 2 years ago & lasted 6 mos., but gained so much weight I started smoking again. I am surprised this time, even approaching 90 days, there are days the urge to smoke is really bad!! I'm ok when we go to the bar, it's like I'm ready for it then, but it's at the oddest times I crave a cigarette. I'm starting to do the hand-to-mouth thing now when I crave a smoke. So far I'm still holding my own with my weight.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
209 Replies
slvm61

Hi everyone. I am not new to the EX site, I have had far to many failed attempts at quitting and for that reason I left this site about two years ago. I had quit in 2004 and started smoking again in 2008. Four years and thought I had quit long enough that I could maybe just smoke a couple and what a stupid idea that was. 

I quit on August 8th, I am desperate to stop as it has affected my health, I found out last December that I have emphysema so even more reason to end this addiction. The thought came to me yesterday that it is only one cigarette that I really have to say no to, that being the next one my mind tries to convince me won't be a big deal. 

I am no expert but one thing that has always tripped me up is when I play with the thought of having a smoke I can count on failing. When that thought comes into my mind I know I need to get away from it in any way I can, starting a new task, going for a walk, calling someone, going for a bike ride, you name it anything to rid myself of that thought. If I don't and I play with that thought it will always win.

Glad to be a part of this group and can use all the help I can get.

0 Kudos
sue5

I quit Aug. 7, 2008 did anyone else quit then or just need support and friendship.
0 Kudos
nan

Hi, I'm Nan. I have chosen August 1, 2009 as my quit date. August is my birth month and this year it's the big five-oh for me.
0 Kudos
reva-burke

I have been feeling so alone latley... My spouse doesn't smoke and my Father smokes like a chain! We are all living together right now and its so hard to get support from either one of them because one doesn't understand and the other one is a lifetime smoker who doesn't want to quit! So I have no one... I talked to a coach from the Quitline twice now but have been having some problems with procrastination and excuses! I really want to quit though. I currently smoke a pack a day of Menthol cigs and tryed to change to non-methol but they made me very nauseated so I went back to Menthol and picked up back where I left off! Im not qualified for any nicotine medicine and cannot afford it right now being that I currently am laid off from work for a month! I have to much time on my hands being stuck at home and am not sure what to do with it. We are planning on moving soon my spouse and I and once we move I won't be around any smokers yay! But that won't be until the end of this month. Im going to start smoking only outside and see if that helps because I live on the fourth floor in an apartment building. Im also going to start tracking my cigs again and start a stress journal so wish me luck! Also, if you have any other ideas or advice that you have used to help yourself quit please let me know! I need all the help I can get right now! Thank You! My quit date is my birthday August 30, 2009
0 Kudos
webslave

The wife and I start a quit smoking class tomorrow. I've tried quitting here recently to no avail as she continues to smoke.
  Probably the second week in August should be our quit date. Also, just read an article about using the nicotine patch prior to quitting. I've even had an instructor in a past quit class who endorsed the use of a patch before quitting.
  http://tinyurl.com/mv7my6
0 Kudos
tiffany5

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is doing great with their journey of being smoke free. My name is Tiffany and I will be a non-smoker here in the month of August.I'm looking very forward to being a part of the "Becoming an Ex" program and meeting many aiming towards the same goal!
0 Kudos
charmaine

August 1st is my quit day!!! Trying the herbal route. Dont want to do the patch. Has anyone heard success stories with this?
0 Kudos

Hey all August 2nd is my big day.....I am trying the Chantix again.
0 Kudos

Just joined today, tomorrow is my quit date!
0 Kudos