cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Muslim Quitters Group Request

New Group: Muslim Quitters

Reason: Groups for just about every other spiritual group, including Jedi. I am pretty sure I am not the only only Muslim quitting smoking. All of the general spirituality groups seem to focus on Christian spirituality. It would be nice to have a group to share scripture, support each other and have discussions and blog posts related to issues about being Muslim and quitting. Also, because of current climate, it may not feel safe to community members at large or to Muslims to share in general Spirituality spaces/groups on these topics, without creating strife.

Moderator/Leader: Myself. I have experience blogging and leading groups RL and online, and have time, willing and eager to do training from EX team.

0 Kudos
14 Replies

Hi, I am not muslim but just wanted to say hello and wish you well on your journey to nicotine freedom!

Thanks! on day 4 n well, thank God day 3 is over... the 3's are hardest for me.. 3rd day, 3rd week, 3rd month... they tend to be my breaking points...

Stop tracking how long it is and start forgetting to give credence to any of this type of junk.  By adding a hint at numerology or anything else, Anything!! you are connecting to your triggers and reinforcing them. Just making your task tougher. Bottom line for a successful quit is simply, forgetting the triggers. That takes the effort of ignoring them and avoiding input that reminds you of the triggers.  You can't stop living your life but expecting that a 3rd day, week or month will be problem laden guarantees that you will focus on the very thing you need to forget, the triggers. Just a thought.

0 Kudos

its not 'numerology' or any such nonsense but experience and cycles of the nicotine leaving my system for the third day. it takes approx 3 days for most of nicotine to leave the body, so YES third day is the hardest for most ppl. also for women, we have a four week cycle so that is not 'nonsense' that chemical body changes are stressful and cause stress and difficulty. i'm not 'tracking'. it just is. Ignoring triggers is not being prepared for them. preparing for what to do when triggers come up is essential to staying quit. please dont be so judgmental on a thread that has not a thing to do with triggers or anything else but starting a new group. no need to attack me on a small thing here.

and i was having a REALLY good day until now >.<

Before THIS quit which I have had for over three years,  I lost two quits in 2013 and they each lasted three weeks.  I never connected anything with that...both times my triggers were anger.  My oldest daughter was really enthusiastic to hear about NML because she felt that all of HER failed quits tended to fail somewhere between the 3rd and 4th month.  She said she did not know why but it became harder to sustain.  I think much of it has to do with identification of triggers and learning new ways to deal with them.  I had to figure out why I failed over and over again and it mostly had to do with the addiction speaking to me and me LISTENING.  Once I accepted the fact that smoking really did not do anything GOOD for me, it did not help me to deal with pain or anger or stress...once I accepted that, my quit became MUCH more solid.

I have no idea if there are other Muslims on the site, a very good friend of mine from here, we lost over a year ago and she was Jewish, she felt concerned about saying that.  I respect everyone's beliefs no matter what they are, I believe in treating everyone the way I would like to be treated and it is not always easy.

I am glad you are here, glad that day three is over and day four is less horrifying,  Getting the nicotine out of our bodies is a challenge but, for me, getting it out of my mind was much MORE challenging.

Ellen

I disagree that counting quit days is a trigger or that Exers create associations between numbers and triggers.  For sure, there is an inherent association between smoking and not smoking, but by that rationale you could easily argue people should not frequent this site, because we think of smoking, err ... not smoking when we do.  While discussing not smoking is a reminder of smoking, we are creating new positive associations with the former; associations that hopefully outweigh and ultimately replace old associations between smoking and good feelings.

I did go through a phase in which I thought just like you, so please ... no offense.  I think we should all have a Becomeanex Rumspringa of sorts at some point in our quits, to discover life completely beyond thoughts of smoking and determine if it is a life we are choosing for nobody but ourselves.

Curious, PirateQueen‌.  Is there anything comparable to Rumspringa for Muslims?

Where I live we see Rumspringa  ( Rumschpringe) all the time. This year a lot of 'running around' goins on, lol

0 Kudos

Would've sprunga for some rum but never found a Maidchen worth giving up my Mac-chen.

um no, not really, no rumspringe, unless you count unofficially COLLEGE, lol...