cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Service Dogs for COPD

Service dogs are typically thought of as necessary companions for the visually impaired, but service and therapy dogs can be a practical solution for people with a variety of chronic illnesses, including lung diseases.

As well as being a trusted friend, service dogs can expand owners’ motor abilities, granting them new independence and allowing them to get more out of life. Here are just a few benefits of having a service dog, according to healthfitnessrevolution.com, mira.ca, the Lung Institute, and rover.com.

Wheelchair Assistance
Service dogs can be trained to pull wheelchairs and to help wheelchairs up ramps and onto sidewalks. They can also help their owner move in and out of the wheelchair.

Anxiety Relief
Having a chronic illness can bring about many emotional and mental health problems. The calming nature of service and therapy dogs can help ease anxiety and petting dogs is known to release endorphins and reduce stress.

Retrieve Items
Service dogs can help lung disease patients by picking up dropped items and fetching items from other rooms, a vital service for someone who may find getting around difficult and painful.

Lowers Blood Pressure and Heart Rate
There is evidence that stroking a dog and sitting next to a dog lowers blood pressure and heart rate. The soothing effects of their body heat may also help with pain relief.

Improved Balance
Walking with a service dog can help people with chronic diseases who have trouble with their balance. The dogs can also help prop their owners in place to prevent falls.

Good Distraction
Looking after a service dog gives people something to focus on other than their illness. It can help patients develop positive routines and force them to get up and go out.

https://copdnewstoday.com/2017/05/15/10-benefits-service-therapy-dog-lung-disease/ 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
elvan

Thomas3.20.2010‌ Before I was "officially" diagnosed and we had a chow/shepherd mix, she used to take ME for walks.  Pulling me up hills and making me WANT to be outside and walking.  Unfortunately, she had to be euthanized when she was 13.  She developed some sort of neurological issue and could not stand up.  My husband had to carry her outside to go to the bathroom and at nearly 100 lbs, there was no way I could carry her.  I would love to have a dog but I don't think it would be fair to the dog.  I see people with service dogs all the time and I am sure they are immensely helpful whatever the issue may be.