cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JHamilton1990

patch along with lozenge/gum

Has anyone used the patch and gum or lozenge together, my quit date is 8 days away and was wondering if this would help or if I should avoid doing it?

26 Replies

First of all, I think that using both would give you way more nicotine than you really need. When I quit, I used the patch because it gives a steady supply of nicotine into the system. To me, the gum or lozenges gives a person peaks and valleys of nicotine, simulating what you feel when smoking. The patch doesn't totally take away the craves, but it takes the edge off of them, which helps to prepare one for total withdrawal at the end of the program.

But then, that's just my opinion.

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

After you have done the recommended reading,  I think you will better understand what you need to do for you.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go the the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Hi there and welcome. I don't believe its advisable to take a combination of any of them. Only one. As Chuck mentioned you will be getting too much nicotine. It would probably make you sick to your stomach could be bad for your heart. Check with your pharmacist to get the best advice. Again, welcome. This is an Excellent site to get support through your quit.

gregp136

Yes, do the reading.  YoungAtHeart‌ is a VERY wise person.  Listen to her and other Elders.  I am a younger quitter with less than 60 days under my belt.  I would recommend you come here often, and read as much as possible, and take the advice that fits for you.  If the advice just isn't right for you know it is given in the spirit of helping.  Like this:

Everyone is different, but for me using any nicotine replacement just prolonged the withdrawal for me in previous quits.  That is why I went cold turkey this time.

Greg

0 Kudos
Giulia

Here's one article by one Mayo Clinic Doctor ("Expert Advice") who posted here prior to retiring.  Note:  it's five years old, so I don't know if the protocols have changed or not.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2012/11/29/tips-for-using-nicotine-r...   And another bit of information from the Mayo Clinic (scroll down until you get to "Combination Therapy.")  http://www.mayo.edu/research/documents/medication-handout-2015-02-pdf/doc-20140182   Personally I would ask my doc before combining treatments.  There may be interactions with other medications you're taking that you know not of.  Glad you've joined us.  Stick around!  The more you read, the better armed you'll be for the journey ahead.  Just be aware that NRTs do not take away all cravings.  These simply help to lessen them and to keep them manageable.  There is no magic bullet for this addiction.  If there were, there's be no need of a support site such as this.  Education about this addiction and your particular relationship with it will be your best tool for success.

Barbara145

Hi.  Welcome to Ex. If you have previous quits under your belt You may kind of know what works for you.  I had only one significant quit about 11 years before this one.  I had used the patch for 3 months under a Dr's supervision.  As soon as  I stopped the patches I began smoking again pretty quickly. Shortly before my final quit I heard an MD discussing that some people needed more than one form of nicotine replacement.  It gave me hope.  Sure enough, I used the patch and nicotine gum.  The nicotine along with this site were the answer for me.  I did get addicted to the gum (only about 3% of people do. Hope that helps.  I love not smoking.  I never thought that was possible for me.

freeneasy

I did. I used the patch mainly but I used 1-3 pieces of gum a day too. I tried to cut back my use of it. I started with the 21mg patch and went down to the 7mg.   I found myself using less and less gum and made sure I always decreased. I used the 14mg patch a few extra weeks. 

0 Kudos
elvan

JHamilton1990‌  I did not use any NRT's but my son was hospitalized a few years ago and they put him on both the patches and the gum for the time he was hospitalized.  This was a psych hospitalization and he had voluntarily committed himself.  I cannot remember how long he was there, might have been 10 days...he started smoking again as soon as he was discharged.  He had not planned to quit, had not prepared for it and wanted to smoke more than he wanted to recover from THAT addiction.  My daughter successfully quit using the patch according to the instructions, she has been quit for over 18 months now.  

Welcome to EX, you are in the right place to quit and to begin a journey of recovery.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

I used the patch only.  But made a promise to myself that if I was headed to the store to buy a pack, that I would first buy some nicotine gum to get through.  I never bought any gum.  My point, I would only use 2 forms of nicotine replacement products as a last resort.  Best wishes to you!

0 Kudos