cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kellybeth

Still smoke free

Today is day 80. DAY 80!!!! I have been off the Chantix for about 2 weeks. I'm still sleeping like crap but I'm not sure what is causing that. Could it be the 2 dogs sleeping on my bed? My snoring Husband? My 4 year old that always seems to need something? The Chantix? Who knows. Last night I had a dream about smoking. I dream about smoking a lot. I said very clearly in my dream, "I'm not an ex smoker, I'm just a smoker that isn't smoking right now" And I do think this is true. It may be something I have never said out loud but I for sure said it loud and clear in my dream.

At times I do feel like that. Like I am not yet an ex smoker. Like I may never be an ex. I feel on the edge of smoking at times. Like I am RIGHT at the edge. But so far I have been able to overcome it and say NO and move past those feelings.

Maybe I am a smoker that is choosing to not smoke right now. But I feel like now it IS a choice. I no longer feel helpless. I feel like I am in charge, not the cigarettes. My Husband is still smoking and making no effort to quit even though he says he wants to. Last night was the first time he seemed genuine about it. He put out a cigarette and seemed really mad about it. He like butted it out in the ashtray forcefully and angrily. Then he said to me I wish I could just stop. He seemed very defeated. He said I should be proud of myself that I was able to do it. He said how long has it been 11 weeks? Now I don't have the best marriage and a lot of times I feel like I am just someone who lives with him and takes care of the house and our daughter and goes un noticed. But in that moment as he said that to me I realized that he did notice. He was paying attention . And he was proud of me.

No matter how old you are you just want someone to notice. Just want someone to be proud. It was a very important moment for me and for the first time in a long time I felt love from him.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say. I guess it was that besides from you guys I did feel alone in the journey. No one is alone in this. We are just at different stages. Be proud of your 1 day smoke free or 80 days or 15634131 days. Be proud if you are just stating to come up with a quit plan. It all is a step in the right direction and I don't plan on going back.

Much love,

Kelly

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

We are all addicts and will forever remain so.  It will always be a choice  - every day.    Just continue to make the RIGHT one!

CONGRATULATIONS on 80 days!! Always a wonderful achievement. And I agree with Nancy. Once we become addicts, we're always addicts and as you said in your dream, smokers that don't smoke anymore.  The thing is that the cigarette over time becomes an object rather than a way of life. We still remember smoking but in the end, the thoughts become just that. Thoughts. Something that no longer creates discomfort when those memories pop up.

Good for you for staying quit!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck 

jbliesmer

Kelly,

What a wonderful achievement. 

I for one want to hear every single time you hit a milestone, and on the same token, I want to hear when you are struggling. I appreciate your honesty and I think the fact that you have done this with very little or no support at home says a great deal about your character and your will. You are strong. Your quit is important. You are important.

~Jaime

elvan

Kellybeth‌ CONGRATULATIONS on 80 days, 20 days from the Triple Digit Club, what a beautiful blog this is...it is honest and encouraging to those who are  behind you and it is BEAUTIFUL to see how much you have grown,  I used to say I would NEVER be a NONsmoker but I absolutely was capable of being an EX smoker.  We cannot erase our addictions but we can overcome them, one day at a time, one step at a time (I had lots of baby steps).  I think it's great that your husband has FINALLY congratulated you and you are so right that no matter where we are in our quits or in our lives, we ALL need validation, it helps if that validation comes from someone close.  It is hard to pat ourselves on the back all the time.  I hope that your quit actually strengthens your marriage as it is strengthening you.  You have come a LONG ways!  

I am so happy for you and so proud of you.

Ellen

Strudel

Congrats on 80 days! Youngatheart is right - it is a choice. The further you go - the clearer that choice will be each day! You are doing this!