cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

The Myth and the Liar

Smoking helps me focus.

Isn't that another one of those myth's we all took to heart?

In reality it was "I need that nicotine NOW."

We excuse ourselves by claiming it helps us focus.

It's as hollow as, "Shirts were made to have holes burned in them."

What a liar nicotine is

The Liar.jpg

Tags (2)
16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

It DID help me focus --- but perhaps it was also being outside, in a quiet place, with no phone or person interruptions??!!!  Getting away DID help, as did feeding the sensors demanding their fix which were a HUGE distraction.

Like most things we thought smoking did for us, this, too, was a LIE!

elvan

I thought it helped me focus and I also thought that it helped to DISTRACT me...not sure ANYTHING could do both.

0 Kudos

I think the allowance to take a break was the actual benefit. We just associated smoking with a break because that's what we always did when we took a break.

Maryangela

I thought of it as "my time"!  I'm could just go outside, sit in my rocker and smoke away an hour at a time, it was so peaceful!  What a CROCK!  Yes, it was "my time" alright!  My time away from my family, my time to feed the addiction, my time to knock years off of my life, my time to burn money, my time to ignore the ones who love me and my time to cause self inflicting illnesses.  NO MORE!!!!  NOT ONE MORE!  Day four and praying! 

give yourself time, change your routine just enough to keep youself reminded that "I don't do that anymore" and you will unlearn the ritual of smoking connected to memories and emotions.

Maryangela

Thank you for the encouraging words!

0 Kudos
elvan

Maryangela‌ You can still sit outside in your rocker and read a book, take deep breaths, enjoy the world...WITHOUT smoking. Keep saying NOPE!  

Maryangela

Hi elvan, thank you for the kind words!  It's been a rough afternoon!  Really battling the cravings.  I juggled my entire world around my addiction, therefore I just feel like I want to do nothing but sleep!

0 Kudos