cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

What Hypoxia Does to You

Hypoxia or shortness of breath isn't just uncomfortable, it is dangerous to every system in your body, especially your heart and brain.  

The heart is a muscle that when in a condition of hypoxia has to work extra hard. If this happens enough the right side of the heart will stretch out of shape. You have what's known as pulmonary hypertension and eventually cor pulmonale - enlargement of the right ventricle.

The high energy requirements compared to the low energy reserves render the brain particularly vulnerable to hypoxic conditions. Although it constitutes only a small fraction of total body weight (2%), it accounts for a disproportionately large percentage of O2 consumption (about 20%).  The longer the duration of hypoxia, the larger and more diffuse the areas of the brain that are affected. The most vulnerable areas seem to be the brainstem, hippocampus and cerebral cortex. Injury progresses and eventually becomes irreversible except if oxygenation is restored.

Acute respiratory failure accounts for 38% of fatalities for COPD patients, 30% of people with COPD die of cardiovascular disease, 11% from pulmonary infection,  pulmonary embolism takes about 10% and 7% die of lung cancer.

Bottom line, if you have been prescribed Oxygen Therapy - for crying out loud, people, USE IT!

Your lungs, your heart, your brain - Your BODY will Thank You!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
elvan

I remember your encouragement to me to use the oxygen I was prescribed and I remember how resistant I was until you explained all of the reasons to stop fighting it.  For heaven's sake, I am a retired RN, what on earth did I think I was doing?  I think the thought of an oxygen concentrator following me around horrified me, it was like wearing a big dunce hat and I was ashamed.  The thought was humiliating, now that I use oxygen at night, I am somewhat more able to get up in the morning, it is STILL a struggle but that has to do with more than oxygen deprivation.

Thank you, as always, Dr. Thomas for what you offer to those of us who are hungry for your advice and support.

Ellen

I know that when I had a severe exacerbation, before I even knew that I had COPD, that I went a while with low oxygen levels, though I have no idea how low they were. My world was kind of fuzzy. My mind wasn't functioning very well and the only thought running through my mind was continuing to breathe until I could get some help.

Now, I follow whatever oxygen regimen I am prescribed and more then that when I need it. I use three liters at night pumped through my CPAP machine and seem to do quite well during the day. On times when my oxygen levels are low, but not dangerously so, (usually in the mornings) I will keep the oxygen on until my readings are better and usually I'm fine for the rest of the day.

I never hesitated to use oxygen when it was prescribed to me. It's not addictive and does nothing but help to improve quality of life as we live with our chronic disease. How I got it is irrelevant. What is important is that I treat it. Once we know we have COPD, the best thing we can do for ourselves is treat it in the best way possible.

Another important topic Thomas. Thank you!

Chuck