cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Mary Jane

So I live in Colorado where recreational marijuana is legal. A lot of people my age have picked back up where they left off back in the 80s. I suppose some never stopped actually and others turned radically against it which is funny since back in the day they smoked up the biggest storm ever!

I personally like the fact that kids with epilepsy can get relief from their seizures, folks with glaucoma can get treatment that actually works with few side effects, and people with cancer can eat. I don't like that 20 year olds all over the nation are developing "back aches!" Yeah right! They give me a headache! So I guess you could say that I have mixed opinions. 

Just to be upfront I have smoked - sometimes in my life a substantial amount but currently do not - not because I have an aversion - I'm just not interested - been there, done that!

But what about treatment for COPD? Is it a good idea, a horrible idea, maybe something in between? 

I believe that inhaling smoke for us is damaging no matter what kind of smoke it is. But there are edibles. And there are derivatives with THC but no high, I guess. I'm pretty ignorant of the whole affair. 

Anyway, here is an article that might help sort some of this out:

Where There’s Smoke … Vaping, Marijuana, and COPD 

So what do you think?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
21 Replies
MarilynH

I know people who have medical Marijuana including my son who can legally grow a specified amount either inside or outside he does smoke some of it but also makes cookies and so on for edible use, my son has had two major knee replacements and major back issues from a motorcycle accident and it helps his pain, I have tried small quantities of the edible but it's not for me because I don't like the effects of it at all but that's just me,interesting topic thanks Thomas3.20.2010.

0 Kudos

For me, this is an interesting subject. When I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C and was recommended to do the treatments (which were considered close but not quite as bad as the effects of chemo therapy at that time) marijuana was illegal, however, the objective of the treatment for hep C had nothing to do with COPD, or the legality of marijuana. Though the one who got me the treatments couldn't exactly say it, he knew that THC was found in my system and recommended in a way that protected him as a doctor that if I in fact smoked, that it might help me considerably with the nausea associated with the treatments I was about to undergo.

Needless to say, back then I was smoking the stuff and so I continued and actually had none of the nausea that all those I went through it with had. So, in my case it had a valuable treatment use to help that part of it. And living in Colorado, I know a lot of people who have been helped by it, mostly in the form of pain relief.

Many of these people were pretty much addicted to Vicodin or others like it and no longer had to take the drugs any longer. After withdrawal, they were fine. So there is a benefit in some cases. That said, I'd have to think that people with compromised lungs should ALWAYS stay away from lung irritants. However, I've also read that THC in the edible form can relax the lungs in times of trauma and sometimes that helps a lot.

So I guess in my opinion, it should be treated as any pharmaceutical. By judging the benefits against the possible side effects. And using the best methods of administering for the condition. But then, that's just my opinion! Love to think about stuff like that. Thanks for the post!

Chuck 

dwwms

Interesting topic, Thomas. I know marijuana has medicinal benefits, most notably for pain and I believe it is also helpful for glaucoma. The article definitely talks about the dangers of inhaling marijuana smoke, that although it might not be as bad as cigarettes, it still contains a lot of chemicals harmful to the body and the lungs in particular. I think it is something worth exploring if it would bring relief.

And in the interest of full disclosure - I too, have smoked it in the past, at one time, quite a bit. But have not for going on 30 years for the same reason as you - not interested.

elvan

Wow, I have smoked my share of recreational marijuana and have also had edibles which tasted like chocolate horse manure...or what I think that might taste like.  I graduated from high school in the late 60's and went to college in the 70's.  I found the method of administration to make all the difference in the world.  There was an entirely different effect from smoking it as opposed to eating it.  I actually vomited more than once if I smoked it because I have ridiculous motion sickness and the least bit of dizziness throws me.  Alright...all of that said, if I thought that edibles would help with the symptoms of COPD OR would give me relief from this relentless pain, I would be more than willing to try it.  It is not legal in Virginia and I certainly do not need to get arrested.  I am on heavy duty pain meds...hydrocodone and oxycodone. My doc suggested fentanyl at my last appointment. I said absolutely not.  I do not want anything that will alter my poor mind more than what I am on.  Would I like pain relief...you bet I would.  I absolutely would not smoke ANYTHING, no matter what it promised.  I have seen articles saying that the oil can help with COPD.  

Interesting discussion Thomas3.20.2010‌.

I believe they have extracts that relieve pain without making you high.

0 Kudos
elvan

I have heard that but they are not legal here and I would really not do well in jail.

"...or what I think that might taste like."

Nice cover.

0 Kudos
freeneasy

I think if it provides relief for people with certain medical conditions it's a good thing.As far as recreational purposes, I'm not interested either but I'm not opposed to legalization either.

gregp136

Okay, again in the interest of full disclosure, I was in High school and college in the 70's also.  And I never used an Illegal drug.  A friend and I made a pact and we stuck to it.  That being said, I was at MANY parties with friends where it was being smoked openly. I enjoyed those parties because the drug brought others up to my level of silliness.  I recall friends of my parents who worked in probation and parole had a party I attended, and all the DA's and cops were also at the party smoking.  It was an interesting time. 

That being said, I hope no one puts smoke of any kind into innocent lungs.  I also believe outlawing things is useless.  Smoke 'um if you got 'um, but thank you, I choose not to.  No judgement, just not my thing.