cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Christy2026

How to even begin and get through the first day

I want to quit...I need to quit... Yet and still I plan to quit then wake up that morning and think of all the completely illogical reasons why I want to KEEP smoking.....and then I give in.  I feel completely powerless over this behavior...but deep down I know I'm not powerless at all and it's up to me to commit and make the change.  Can anyone tell me how they finally followed through on the first day, couple days, week?  

39 Replies
Wantingacig57

I understand Completely !! I have been doing the SAME THING!! I will start by saying that it IS OK that this is what You are FEELING...You Feel Powerless OVER your Quit because you are Scared to Choose to be Without Something that has Power Over You !!! EDUCATION IS THE KEY !!

I ALSO AM A NEWBIE HERE, therefore I'm at the STARTING LINE right along with You !!

WE MUST START BY READ, READ, AND READING !! THE ELDERS WILL BE SOON TO POST SOME GREAT READING TO YOU !!!! God Bless and I am

Willing to be your Friend, as we BOTH are just starting out HERE IN THE RIGHT PLACE TO BE!!

Much Success to you, christy2026 !

Christy2026

Thank you so much for your reply.  Congratulations on your commitment to quit.  I've quit twice before using Wellbutrin.  First time for 5 years and second time for three.  Minimal willpower required because of the meds but I don't ever want to take that stuff again.  It made me super anxious and emotional and completely numb at times.  Now I'm going to try the cold turkey method and possibly nicotene gum and hope it works.  My quit date is the 18th....I'm beginning to try and prepare.  

jbliesmer

Good for you for setting a date. I look forward to following you on this journey

Christy2026

Wantingacig57

This is Great News, jbliesmer !! Are You also a NEWBIE ?? The More the Merrier to Help eachother Stay Strong !! SHARE with us something about your Self, please

Wantingacig57

You CAN AND WILL SUCCEED !!! I will be right HERE WITH and FOR YOU !! WE CAN DO THIS.. Together if You want, need, or don't...I totally understand where you are coming FROM !!

I AM alot different in my Concerns over "This Quit"... For Me... As I have an Advantage to a Successful Quit, that being The Very Poor Health my whole body is racked with!! And I AM DETERMINED FOR SUCCESS...PERIOD

You, my Friend, are In My Prayers for a "Successful First Week"!! Amen

Its 2am...talk WITH YOU, soon, my Friend Christy !!

Christy2026

You seem so psyched about this quit!!  I love it!  Yes we can definitely do this together and cheer each other on.  My quit date isn't until the 18th so I will need help and support for sure!!!  Have a great night and stay strong.  You got this!!!!

Wantingacig57

Hoorayyyyy!! I'm so Glad to Hear your reply!

I will Be Ready for your "Quit Date"...Right now I have Got to do ALOT OF READING !!! IM WAYYY BEHIND on Timing the Knowledge with My Quit, today!! So bare with me while I GO GET READING  See ya soon !! I'm Always Here FOR YOU & ANYONE ELSE !!

Be Blessed in Jesus Precious Name !!

bonnie.s

I'm 90+ days smoke free.  It wasn't easy getting to this point.  I smoked a pack a day, sometimes more, for over 20 years.  I joined this site over a year ago and have reset my quit date so many times before finally making it to this point.  I'd even go away for weeks at a time because of the embarrassment I felt resetting so much.  I finally had to tell myself "This is it.  Continue to smoke and you will die before you see your kids get married and become a grandma".  I've smoked long enough that this is it, it's life or death.  Period".  I put on a patch and every time a craving hit, I'd remind myself "life or death".  It was hard the first few weeks, I can't lie and say it wasn't.  90+ days later it is still hard at times though not as bad.  I assume it will be a life long struggle now but it's one I'm ready to fight and win daily.  Having so much support here is great.  It's always nice to know your not alone and that others can relate to everything you are feeling because they've been there.  Best of luck to you.  You CAN and WILL win this battle if you want it bad enough. 

Christy2026

Thanks so much for your response.  I'm trying to prepare and educate educate educate myself.  Alot of this I already know as I've quit before.  First time for 5 years second time for 3 years.  I used Wellbutrin.  I don't ever want to be on that again as it made me so super anxious and numb and emotional all at the same time.  It was no good but I did quit smoking so....lol. I hope doing it this way will make me appreciate the quit much more because I will have to work so hard for it.  With the Wellbutrin I just stopped.  Minimal effort required.  Have a great day and thanks again!  I am going to try your life and death mantra and maybe visualize my grandma who was a long time smoker in her last days of cancer.