cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pongaselo

I need to be useful

So its been a little over 3 weeks and I have looked at some question or another every day. I think about the questions and problems and then write down what I think and how I deal. Sadly, I don't do this so much for the others quitting as I do for myself.  If I could guarantee a quit for someone else, I wouldn't have to work any more. People pay very well for having their lives saved.  I read the questions and problems and there is a common chord.  When things start going wrong for people, they don't come back, look at what worked for someone or ask for help. Instead, they cave, then after wasting all that effort, both theirs and the help from loved ones, they start all over more convinced than ever that they just can't manage life without cigarettes. Look, there are little platitudes, prayers, intellectual discussions, cheers, and almost anything else that you can imagine out there to help us stay off the junk. For me its getting mad, and trying to help others while I am really just reinforcing myself. Whatever. It works and that what matters. Its like paying dues for being a selfish asshole. I know this language is offensive to many of you but I feel like the criticism must be forceful and unequivocal. None of us are just too weak to manage. Its just not that terrible to pass on the stuff. This is the voice of ignorance but I believe we create this weaknesses as excuses for failure. So no, I am not buying that if someone quits they will have their 13th nervous breakdown. Smoking will not make you sane, cure bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety or any other issues in my life or anyone else's.  I am not saying that your mind can't make you depressed, anxious, bipolar or insane. It can. It has nothing to do with physical addiction to nicotine though. So I Rant. I have convinced myself that it is some sort of penance and helps others. 

7 Replies
gregp136

And an interesting rant it is.  I can only speak for myself.  I failed in my quit a number of times, before I found this place.  I will not judge others who fail.  I will support who I can, and be here for whoever needs me, while at the same time keeping my quit safe.  I have lived long enough to know there are way to many types of people in the world for me to know what is best for even a portion of them.

That is just where I am coming from.

Greg

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Rant on! 

We are used to it here!

0 Kudos
elvan

Smoking doesn't fix anything but the psychological addiction can be so strong that it convinces us that it does.  I had many failed quits...not THIS one and I sure had some tough tests along the way.  I KNOW that smoking will not help me in any way.  I know that it is a killer and there is no more sleeping with the enemy for me.  I think your ranting HELPS people to put things into perspective so you really ARE doing it for others, you just don't know it.

Ellen 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

I don't do this so much for the others quitting as I do for myself...

And you do not need too, all you need is:

0 Kudos

imagine your scenario

of come and go

for 10 years time

Disappointment

Slip 'n slime

but some remain

through rain or shine

to speak the truth

the truth sublime

0 Kudos
jbliesmer

it is very true that most people are hear because they need help. But I for one am very appreciative of the Elders who have stuck around to give us all encouragement and advice.

0 Kudos
prjimm01

WELCOME.  WE NEED YOU!!!

0 Kudos