cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dar17

Still chewing

So after 1277 days without a smoke Tell me how to quit chewing the gum!

18 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I would wean off of it.  How much and what strength are you chewing?

0 Kudos
elvan

dar17‌ I think you probably need to wean off it the same way you were supposed to when you started using it.  Drink lots and lots of water and flush your system of the nicotine.  It only takes a few days to get the nicotine out of your system but I think you are going to have to deal with some of the same psychological withdrawal.  Perhaps start substituting regular gum for nicotine gum.  Lots of liquids and a healthy diet.  You CAN do this.  

I would direct message JonesCarpeDiem‌ because he is really knowledgeable about NRT's and their relationship to cigarettes, dosage wise.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

0 Kudos

You just say I will wait a little longer when you get the urge. That will make you think and help in breaking the pattern.

Sounds simple doesn't it?

Try it. Getting off auto pilot is the secret.

elvan

There you go...Dale responded.  Just wait a little longer each time.  

0 Kudos

I don't want too much overthinking.  🙂

I myself wouldn't keep track. I would just catch myself before I smoked (or popped a piece of gum.)

That's enough.

In a week or two she/he should notice that she/he is buying less gum.

That's her/his impetus to succeed.

0 Kudos

Continued :

Proving you can do something you thought you couldn't do or didn't know how, starts you forward.

Isn't that why most people give in? They didn't believe they could do it in the first place.

So this is a way to show yourself (to prove to yourself without stress) that the problem isn't as big as the space you gave it.

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Wean yourself off.  Delay using it. Cut down to the 2mg if use the 4 mg. Never increase the amount you use. Start to substitute regular gum

gardenancy8

Good idea on replacing it with normal gum also! 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Delay using ANY for a bit.  Get busy when you first have a crave.   Start subbing one regular gum of the same flavor for,like, every fourth nicotine gum, then every third and so on.  Take it relatively easy with your reductions. 

You have been addicted to it for a long time, so it's going to take a bit to get off of it....not unlike smoking.

You might find the recommended readings for quitting smoking helpful.

I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go the the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

Just substitute "chew gum"  where it refers to smoking a cigarette.

I am glad you recognize you need to get off that stuff.  It may have long term bad effects on your mouth, gums and teeth.

Let us know if we can help!

Nancy

0 Kudos