cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Addicted to Oxygen?

I've heard this nonsense before. It goes that once on Oxygen or on 1 liter or 2 liters or what have you  - you are taking a grave risk of pulmonary failure if you turn your oxygen up either under certain circumstances such as exacerbation or exercise or on a regular basis.

BOLOGNA!

Ask your pulmonologist - some RTs, RNs and LPNs, even General Practitioners still spread this goofy theory that was proven wrong Years ago!

If you're having problems breathing it's absolutely OK to turn your oxygen up a liter or even 2 - you will not overdose on oxygen! If your Doctor suggests that you go from 2 liters to 3 liters - please do it! Oxygen saves every single organ of your body, especially Heart and Brain!

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/sgr/50th-anniversary/pdfs/fs_smoking_diabetes_508.pdf

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I had heard, too, that once you start on oxygen, you will not be able to get off of it.  I was terrified of that when they had me on it after my difficult surgery and wanted to get off of it ASAP for that reason.

Brainwashing causes SO much unnecessary angst!

0 Kudos
JustSharon

I have never heard those things before. I'm on 4 liters per night and I'm certainly not addicted to it. I have found my cannula laying in the bed next to me sometimes as it falls off and I never woke to notice it. Geez if those things were true, I'd have been in withdrawal! Thanks for the heads up Thomas

0 Kudos
elvan

JustSharon‌ I forget to put mine on sometimes and I have been on it for a while now.  I do turn it up when I am having a really hard time but I don't leave it up for any length of time.  It was prescribed at 2L and that's where it is set...unless a fur baby plays with the knob which has been known to happen but then it is usually put DOWN and not up.  

I do remember when I was still working as an RN that people with COPD should not have their oxygen set up too high because it would affect their stimulus to breathe on their own.  I think it had something to do with the CO2 level in the patient's blood but it was so long ago that I can't remember. 

I had an aunt who was in her 90's and her doc said there was absolutely no reason for her to be on oxygen but it made her feel better so there was no reason for her NOT to be on it.

0 Kudos
JustSharon

Ellen, I was originally put on 3 liters and they upped it to 4 after an exacerbation. They never told me to turn it down. Guess I should run that by my doctor, huh?

0 Kudos

There is no reason to worry Sharon! Yes, ask your doctor the next time you see him/her but you don't need to make an appointment for this. You're just fine! The theory that you can get too much oxygen (or too much CO2) by turning up your oxygen has 100% been disproved - pulmonologists agree on that!

https://www.copdfoundation.org/COPD360social/Community/Questions-and-Answers/Have-you-been-told-that...

0 Kudos
elvan

Thomas3.20.2010‌ Thanks for that update...it's been a long time since I worked and I am glad it has been disproved.  I agree that JustSharon‌ certainly does not need to make an appointment to ask that question.  

I KNEW that you would have the correct answer, Thomas.  I can always count on you for a second opinion, thank GOD!

Ellen

I just received this information from a world renowned expert in COPD, Dr. Mark Magnus.  BSRC, RRT, RPFT, FAARC
San Antonio, TX

"Hypercapnic Respiratory Failure" is INDEED a bonafide and legitimate condition.  It is the term for respiratory failure - indeed, "acute" respiratory failure (abbreviated "ARF") characterized by a blood carbon dioxide level that exceeds the upper normal limit.  There is also another term for ARF called "Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure".  It means acute respiratory failure that is characterized by a blood oxygen level that is below the lower limit of normal.  Then there is the term which combines both hypoxemic and hypercapnic respiratory failure.  But, most often we just say ARF and be done with it.  Depending upon where the clinician resides depends upon their preferred characterization and the term or label they use.  It is also a matter of context - with whom the discussion is being had or written piece is targeting - which of the various terms the speaker or author chooses to use.

No one is denying those facts.  What you find strongly disputed is the suggestion within that article it is stated that using too much oxygen can in ANY WAY influence or "cause" the onset or worsening of (on-coming or already established) hypercapneic respiratory failure.  That question has been a source of great debate for literally decades, having been the brain child a misbegotten  theory put forth by a physician (Dr E. J. Campbell) back in the 1950's and '60's, when understanding of the causes of ARF were being formulated and were in a very early and crude state of development.

As to how it 'affects' those of you who have progressed to a severe stage of COPD, where you now retain CO2 and exhibit "compensation" in your blood gases for having the presence of excess CO2 in your blood, that erroneous theory has played - and continues to play - an important role in how your physician and other health care professionals treat you with regard to administration of your oxygen therapy.  The end result is that a myriad of patients have gone to an early grave because subscribers to the theory have - in practice - withheld adequately therapeutic oxygen supplementation from them, causing avoidable worsening of and ill effects of hypoxemia on their disease state to occur at a more rapid rate and earlier point in their disease process.

Today, most groups within the pulmonary medical community are shifting their consideration of application of supplemental oxygen therapy to target more adequate correction of hypoxemia, a goal that has increasingly proven to not only improve momentary difficulties caused by hypoxemia, but also to improve overall outcomes and survival with folks' disease.  Still - and most frequently found - the British, Australian and New Zealand - pulmonary treatment approaches subscribe to the misbegotten theory and continue to publish and press the validity of the theory, worse yet, based upon nothing more than misinterpreted anecdotal evidence - NOT ANY 'empirical' evidence.  (Empirical evidence is that which can be definitively observed, produced, re-produced and shown a have a provable "cause and effect" relationship.)

As to what you should do as a patient, if you have hypoxemia, current wisdom is that you should do your best to correct that hypoxemia, using enough oxygen to raise your blood levels to a saturation that is above 90 %.  Also, it is NOT going to hurt you to have a blood oxygen level that is 95%, 96 or greater.  More importantly, having a "normal" or high normal blood oxygen level will NOT - WILL NEVER - cause you to breathe ineffectively or to somehow "lose" your ability to breathe simply by being that high!"
0 Kudos
elvan

Thanks, again, Thomas.  I actually put my oxygen on when I worked out last week at home.  Since it wasn't with the benefit of the water, it was much harder for me to work out so I put the oxygen on to see if it was a little easier.  What I noticed was that I did not have as severe soreness in the muscles afterwards.  I have a pulmonology appointment in August and I am supposed to have PFT's  at that time.  They have never done ABG's...I sort of hate to suggest them but it seems that it would be a prudent thing to have a baseline even at this point.

0 Kudos