cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dpernell

Please Help

I stop smoking at the end of January this year I was not having craving at all I had a slip in February  and now that's all I think about??? how long will this last? I don't want to fail.......... please help

0 Kudos
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

When you smoked in February, you started from scratch again.  You CAN do this - but you need to understand what you are doing and work at this in the early days.  Please do the reading - it makes for a GREAT crave buster!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go the the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

dpernell

thank you

0 Kudos
Giulia

Howdy.  You say you "had a slip" and that's all you think about.  Not quite sure I understand.  Did you go back to your quit?  And since then  all you're thinking about is smoking?  Is that what you mean?  If that's the case, that's the result of slipping.  It awakens the nicotine receptors.  That's why we don't harken to slippage.  Maybe not as devastating as a full blown back-to-smoking relapse but the psychological damage has occurred nonetheless.  And as you're finding, you're paying the price for it.

You see you opened wide the door to the possibility of smoking in your mind with that slip.  And it's still ajar.  And  until you close it again and seal it shut - you're going to hanker for one.  Each time you allow that one puff, you reinforce the option to smoke rather than killing it off.  You have to regain your quit thinking.  That Not One Puff Ever thinking.  That Smoking Is Not an Option thinking, that Never Another Day One thinking.   And how do you do that?  By reading daily on here.  The blogs.  Read the posts in Best of EX and also type "relapse traps" in the search magnifying glass and read that material.  You need to reinforce the reason you've quit rather than romancing the reason you want to smoke.  And go back to understanding your triggers and plan on methods to overcome them.  

You can do this.  But you have to work at it.  Are you willing to?

"the psychological damage has occurred"

no one knows this ahead of time.

I call it putting a hole in your armor.

Welcome! We want you to Succeed also!

Do the reading, please! It will make a difference.

We don't use the word slip because it is rather vague - does that mean a puff, a cigarette, a pack, a week, or more....?

You relapsed. Did you take that into account when you got back into your Quit?

Giulia pointed out that giving yourself permission of any type to smoke just makes the whole Quit virtually impossible. You have to lock down your determination that smoking is not an option - No Matter What!

Once that decision has been made it's a question of figuring out how to get through daily Life with other coping skills. It's all here! We'll share these ideas with you and you can fortify your Quititude, LOCK down your Decision and the whole thing will go much smoother!

0 Kudos
gregp136

Yes, you can do this!  It is not an up hill fight!  Everything is out of your system.  It is now you and your brain.  Read like those people ahead of me suggested, and come here a lot.  We do it together here!

The permission comes before the puff.

0 Kudos
dwwms

I've had the same experience before - wondering how long the thoughts of wanting to smoke would last. Unfortunately, the longer you allow those thoughts in your mind, the worse the situation becomes. You are basically fighting to quit and that's a recipe for relapse. I've done a lot of the reading suggested here, particularly the book by Allen Carr that Nancy (Youngatheart) gave you the link for - she also headed me in the right direction. It helps to put you into a completely different mindset - you're not giving up anything!! You are only making positive gains!

You cannot fight your way to quitting - you have to accept quitting. I'm still young in my quit, but the advice and support found here has made all the difference in the world to me.

WELCOME!!

Doug

Daniela2016

First thing:

Image result for welcome animated

You are in the right place for support. The more educated you are about addiction, the easier will be to handle the cravings, or to handle yourself when faced with the cravings.  As many said it before me, it is all between you and your mind; you do have the ability to correct the course of your thoughts, and make them work for you, not against you.  Tell us more about you, so the right tools can be recommended.  Congratulations for coming here to blog, please come back, we are all learning while staying EX..

0 Kudos