cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nettrice

Smoking Partners

mh, thanks for the post Jim, I agree totally, but that is not my point/problem.
  The thing is I want to help my love you know I want him to be able to breathe better and desintoxificate of cigarettes and co as well. I want our future children to grow up in an addicction-free environment.. I guess my quit is actually motivating me and him alike to a new kind of lifestyle, and awakening on all levels...
  of course I leave it up to him and am patient.. it seems like he likes my example and is starting to think about quitting himself though, I am not pushing him to do anything, everybody at his own pace... anybody else any other motivation techniques???
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
101 Replies
jim_taddeo

Don't get me wrong..that is certainly the desired outcome......I try sneaking in little hints and express my concern regularly. I am supportive and loving too...but I will under NO CIRCUMSTANCES jeopardize my quit for anyone else...EVER. I hope she does quit and I hope your other does too BUT YOU AND I HAVE.....the are going to have to want to ALL ON THEIR OWN really. Just as we have. It is good to change this way. I feel like completely new. Congrats on the quit.
  Jim
0 Kudos
libby

Hi all....I'm looking for suggestions to get the person I live with to at least go outside on the deck to smoke. It's still pretty cool here in Md so I am hoping that when it warms up some he will. It's not looking that way though. I know it's hard for him when we, and our friends have always smoked anywhere in the house. I have gotten answers like, if he cares about you he will go outside. That's really not helping me get him out there. Does anyone have any ideas that could ease him that way because he wants to. I don't want him to feel like he's being punished because I decided to quit. Him quitting is up to him.
0 Kudos
jim_taddeo

Libby,
  That is tough spot to be in for sure. Even if he cares about you, which he probably does I would have to say, consider the fact that we are dealing with addiction, YOURS AND HIS and as you mentioned OTHERS as well. If someone won't quit for their own well being, AND THAT IS ADDICTION then the odds that they are going to see it as not caring for you are pretty slim, I don't know where you are in your quit but you cannot allow his smoking to keep you from quitting. SPRING CLEANING is here or right around the corner. A very good opportunity to GROSS him and yourself out with the nasty garbage coating the walls and everything inside the place. Also drive home the fact that NEXT YEAR, if smoking hasn't killed him, he will be cleaning up HIS MESS on his own. You will no longer be responsible for the tar and shellac, and other industrial wastes and byproducts you have to TRY and clean from the surfaces of everything in the house. Does he like painting? 🙂 Build a nice closed in porch....Designate a single comfy room for DRUG USE that has a POWERFUL exhaust fan to blow the pollution outside but don't be surprised if the neighbors get upset..LOL....Lead by example and maintain your quit but you have every right to NO LONGER BE EXPOSED to that trash. I'm a bit more radical myself and I hesitate to encourage people to be as radical but I do get results. Of course I am willing to take extreme steps to get them. Addiction is definitely trouble all around. CONGRATULATIONS ON THAT QUIT!
  Jim
0 Kudos
libby

Pretty good Jim, funny too. I did think of fixing a nice little comfy area on the deck for him and his ashray and my other smoker friends. He's not going to interfere with my quit. His smoking doesn't make me want to smoke, I just don't want the house stunk up anymore. I feel like I've worked hard to quit, why shouldn't I enjoy the house smelling good. I think it will get better, this evening he said to me that he did not smoke a cigarette until noon. At least I'm making him conscious of his smoking. We can only hope.
0 Kudos
quit4melody

So he won't not smoke around you because he thinks you'll go back again? My husband was like that too! I don't know how you do it! I could not live in a smoking home! Come here and vent anytime!
  Good Luck!
0 Kudos
linda53

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats me screaming!
0 Kudos
quit4melody

LOL if that's what makes you feel better than by all means go for it! Usually I have to call my husband every bad name in the book before I feel better 🙂
0 Kudos
linda53

im new here but looks like a group i need my husband smokes and most of my friends too the problem is when im stressed i want to grab it out of his mouth and smash it or other times it smells so good i want to grab it and stick it in my mouth this is my 7th week for the 7th quit ive got to make it this time peace and love from ar.
0 Kudos
quit4melody

I completely understand! Does your husband smoke inside? Luckily mine does not because we have a 19 month old. But he does smoke in the car with us and I get such rage it's unbelieveable! I roll the windows all the way down no matter the weather. Have you asked him to not smoke around you until it doesn't bother you anymore? Good Luck!!!
0 Kudos