cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Nicotine Patch Users

I was on the 21mg for 4 weeks and it really helped me. I was really afraid to step down but really... I did not have any trouble. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I was only on the 14 mg for less then a week then I just quit using them altogether. I have been totally off any nicotine for 5 months.
Labels (1)
49 Replies
butterfly77ks

I feel very grouchy if I don't wear the patch. I don't know if I will be able to stop, especially since I slipped last night.
Carenda

Butterfly, it may get better. When I wore the patch, I also slept in it. There were days when I almost forgot to put it on and I felt fine. Everyone is different you will have to see what works for you. Some people cannot sleep in the patch because it gives them bad dreams. I didn't have that happen.
0 Kudos
butterfly77ks

Thank you Carenda. I have been on the patch about 7 weeks and have been using a 21mg cut in half. Do you know if it is OK to stay on the patch longer than 8 weeks?
0 Kudos
Carenda

What I have heard is that the patches should not be cut in half. Maybe you will have less anxiety if you wear the whole patch. I additional week on the 21 mg. probably won't hurt anything. It may be just what you need to get back on track until it is time to step down to step 2. Usually you stay on step 1 for 6 weeks, step 2 for 2 weeks and step 3 for 2 weeks which will give you a total of 10 weeks.
0 Kudos
crystal12

Butterfly-Don't cut them in half! OMG! The patch is sustained release-so it allows your body to absorb a little at a time, by cutting it you are breaking the transdermal layer and excess nicotine is being released into your body. Gradually taper yourself off by buying the lower dosage patches. (Sorry...I'm a nurse-that was my little spiel). 🙂 You CAN do this...I am wearing the patch too. I also get grumpy and irritable if I don't wear it. That is because the nicotine levels fluctuate. Totally normal, we must wean ourselves off of it! One day at a time, keep your head up and stay in control.
sandra9

Has anyone had a nicotine poisioning using the patch? I have been on step 1 for 51/2 wks, and took it off Mon. when I had some of the symptons listed in the book in the box. I put on step 2 today.
0 Kudos
lindamc

I never did, but everyone is different. Somethings make people really sick and don't cause any side effects at all in another person. I would check with the manufactureer or you doctor.
0 Kudos
webslave

The 21mg patches are equal to 10 cigarette's. So, use them accordingly.
  I was smoking 2-3 packs a day some days,,,so, I got the lozenges also trying to keep a level that kept me from craving badly.
  Good luck to all yall quitters. I'm still saving up, trying to save up $$ to get on the Chantix.
0 Kudos
lindamc

Do what you have to do Tony, as long as you do it. And it sounds like you're ready this time. Miss ya
0 Kudos