cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

That's A Lot Of Rope

Two nights ago one of the eaglets got it's leg stuck in the twig rail that surrounds the nest. It could not free itself and neither could the parents.

A human went up after it and it was taken to a vet to be examined and x-rayed.

They brought it back to the nest last night and the video is amazing to watch as it was in a pouring rain.

The human appears just before 10 minutes into the video.

Tags (1)
5 Replies
freeneasy

I wouldn't want that job. Wonder where momma eagle was? 

0 Kudos
elvan

JonesCarpeDiem        That is so touching, those FEET, my God, they are crazy!  Is the other one okay?  I thought it was dead because it wasn't moving and speaking of moving, are there FLIES in the nest or is it some other heinous creature, like spiders?  I kept seeing black things moving around...okay, I AM tired and my pain is beyond the one to ten scale...waaaaay beyond.  Maybe I am hallucinating.  Anything is possible at this point.

Ellen

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You are not hallucinating, elvan‌.  If the birds don't eat all of the food that is brought, it's left in the nest until it's time to eat (or feed the eaglets) next time. One site I stayed on awhile back labeled them :"nestovers."  Flies are out and will hang out...eagles don't seem to mind!

The eaglets at this age basically eat, poop and sleep.  They can't yet hold their heads up or walk, so they just plop, eat and poop.  The other one you saw in that video was just in the "pass out" state!

They are fun to watch when they get a bit older.  Right now the parents take turns feeding them - anything from a whole fish to a squirrel to roadkill (sorry - but they ARE carrion!)  As they get older, they will be able to eat on their own from what the parents bring.  You can watch their mature feathers pop out in gelatin-like cylinders and they pull those off with their beaks.  Before they fledge (fly for the first time out of the nest), they run across the nest back and forth practicing by flapping their wings.  It's funny to watch!!!

I hope you are getting some rest.  You might bookmark that site and visit from time to time.  The high def camera is wonderful and gives you a wonderful picture of their maturation process.

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ Thanks for that lesson...they are such magnificent bird.  I guess well all started out that way, eating, plopping, pooping.  Such dignity!  It's so hard to believe that they become such amazing and majestic creatures!

0 Kudos
JustSharon

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos