cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Completely Off Topic

I've never done well with artificial sweeteners. Anything that keeps coming back on you for half a day just makes me want to avoid it

I'm safe from this but not from everything else.  🙂

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3376748/diet-coke-pepsi-max-deadly-stroke-and-dementia/

Tags (1)
8 Replies
elvan

Oh Lord, I drink Diet Coke.  I USED to drink several cans a day, I am now down to a maximum of two and that is only on the days I work. This is depressing.  I really am a time bomb.  

I had heard a portion of this on the news but I had to do something in the other room and by the time I came back, it was over.  Thanks for sharing.  I will have to get down to ZERO.

Ellen

0 Kudos

I drink water. in coffee. in cranberry juice, in probiotic yogurt. and at least 4 bottles of drinking water.

0 Kudos
elvan

I drink so much water that it astounds me, I also drink Snapple (sugar free), I suppose that has to go.  I drink Tart cherry juice and I drink one cup of coffee per day.  I used to drink a pot every morning.  I AM making progress...sort of.

Tart Cherry? Is that like biting into a lemon?

They took the high fructose out of snapple in 2009. it now has sugar.

My cranberry juice has some sugar in it but i only drink 8 ounces maybe once every 3 days.

0 Kudos
elvan

JonesCarpeDiem‌ The tart cherry juice is supposed to help with joint pain...I think I could drink gallons of it and take a bath in it at the moment.  

0 Kudos
freeneasy

I Just saw on TV a recent study that discovered how much the risk of stroke and dementia are greatly increased. I drink quite a bit of diet coke.I hardly drank any until quit alcohol and then smoking. 

0 Kudos
elvan

freeneasy    I saw it too and I sure don't need to increase my risks but the doctor who was talking about it on the Today Show was either paid by the beverage people or she just wasn't buying it because she said there were OTHER risk factors that the people studied had other than the diet soda.  I made my husband come in and watch it and he was not impressed, I was left feeling confused.

0 Kudos
KMC56

I have a neurosurgeon as a summer neighbor...and the brain doesnt look so good in an autopsy of those who consumed artificial sweeteners.

That conversation came up when I told him I had quit smoking (probably in my 4th month), but also told him I gave up the artificial sweeteners about two months prior to quitting smoking. The withdrawal symptoms were MUCH worse from the diets sodas and such,  and I don't have any desire to return.  He seemed more pleased with with giving up the artificial stuff...

0 Kudos