cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tommiei

Quit After 30+ Years

I have smoked for over 40 years and have quit once about 10 yr ago for 6 weeks. I am so ready to stop this bad habit.  I hate the smell that it leaves in my clothes. So much so that I will not smoke if I am going out to a store or to eat. I am a little embarrased to even say I have smoked for so many years but it is what it is.   Now I have 20 days before my quit date and I will start today using the things I have learned on this site so far.  I hope to get the patch but if not then I will be doing this cold turkey.

71 Replies
charo-lynn

Hi Tommiei,

went to dr today, I knew I had copd, was told several years ago this was going to happen, sure wished I had quit then, but I didn't. Dr. has me using a nebulizer, taking predisone for 6 days to help clear my lungs up, antibotic for my sinus.Go back in one week if it isnt better. I tell you this because soon you will be an ex . and it isn't all that bad. ( now that I have 30 days in). Is their a reason you are waiting on the patches?  I will be thinking and praying for you all the way. You will become an ex...I just have that deep down feeling that you will. I get those at times.

Take care , read up and I will check on you soon.

Your friend, Charo (sharon Wilder)

0 Kudos

I am a chain smoker  for over 35 years and have  tried almost everything. I am looking for support because I am an end stage nicotine addict  and it isa do or die moment. My quit day is 2 days from now. Any helpful hints? Going Cold turkey because nothing works!

0 Kudos
Wantingacig57

Oh my...I am in the same Boat as you! 42 yrs of 2+ packs a day and recent PFT reveilng only 42%of lungs left.... REALITY has FINALLY sunk-in to my REBELLIOUS AND ADDICTED REALITY !!! Past numerous tries of cold-turkey only worked for 6 days of "I've got this"...Then I just wanted ONE cig!

Eight yrs later...Here I am...On oxygen at night, and available for daytime (prn) plus 3 different kinds of inhalers, and 2 oral meds!! Smoking 1 1/2 pks... Wondering how to be successful at permanently quiting these NASTY, NASTY, NASTY cancer sticks ?!?!

If I were to catch a cold bug... DEAD!!

ANYONE LOCAL TO COCOA, FL WILLING TO quit along with me??

0 Kudos
Papa-Mark

Wish you the best. I quit after 40!+ years. Know I'll never be 'healthy' again, but hope I can hang in for a couple more good years.

Been a quitter for almost two years now.

May God watch over you.

M

Have a great day.

Wantingacig57

Please Papa-Mark will you Share with me How You Quit?

I'm 45 yes Smoking with only 37% of my lungs left! 

For me its the picking it up and taking those nasty drags that I'm ADDICTED TO!! Have tried quitting twice...10 days was the longest without  ;(

Suggestions that worked for you when you wanted that cigarette are Welcomed.. TY

0 Kudos
tommiei

You can do it, I did it and I started smoking at 13 and did it for 40 years. I have been smoke free for over three years. If you believe in God, rely on him at all times. That is the only way I made it through this long.

gardenancy8

God is who is helping me big time through this quit!  I believe he also guided me to this ex community. I prayed and prayed for his help! 

ktmay

I also am a long-time smoker; I have quit three times in the past this will be the fourth and final time for me. I made a promise to myself several years ago; the promise was that if I ever had to deal with a major health issue I would stop smoking. So about one month ago I was told I needed my hip replaced because of osteoarthritis of the hip joint. So far I have not smoked for twelve days, I am using the patch to help me through the cravings, I am not in the mood to deal with constant pain and nicotine withdrawal symptoms. I have surgery next week and I was happy to tell the doctor at my pre-op appointment that I am not smoking. 

My suggestions are to stay close to this website, it has been very helpful to me, also several people suggested reading a book by Allen Carr, so far it has been a very good read about addiction.

I wish you all the best in your efforts to become a non smoker.

0 Kudos
penny3712

Hi there...I have smoked for over 40 years...I actually quit for a little over a year...back in 1976! stupid for ever picking them up again. I now have been diagnosed with COPD/Emphazema....I am afraid and know that this is it for me!! I have to quit once and for all! I have to give myself the chance for a better and longer quality of life. I am learning so many things on here and am getting excited as my quit date of 4/1/13 comes closer....happy to be here!

Blessings

0 Kudos