Although this article was written for the elderly, it certainly applies for me (at 59 I don't classify myself as Elderly yet!) and I hope you consider the chance that it helps you, too!
"Empowerment techniques are central to reducing the severity or frequency of exacerbations, preventing hospitalization, and improving health-related quality of life."
In this study 3 strategies were applied in “Managing Life with COPD”:
(1) Striving to keep abreast of life
- Information seeking
- Learning to lead a life with COPD
- Participation in care
- Independence seeking
- Promoting socio-psychological capacities.
(2) Preparing for battle with disease
- Using effective training techniques
- Accepting the role of the elder family member in treatment
- Development of knowledge and professional skills.
(3) Helping to stabilize the elder's life.
The outcome of these strategies was "co-existence with disease."