cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Empowerment!

Although this article was written for the elderly, it certainly applies for me  (at 59 I don't classify myself as Elderly yet!)  and I hope you consider the chance that it helps you, too!

"Empowerment techniques are central to reducing the severity or frequency of exacerbations, preventing hospitalization, and improving health-related quality of life."

In this study 3 strategies were applied in “Managing Life with COPD”:

(1) Striving to keep abreast of life

1. Information seeking
  2. Learning to lead a life with COPD
  3.  Participation in care
  4. Independence seeking
  5. Promoting socio-psychological capacities.

(2) Preparing for battle with disease

1. Using effective training techniques
  2. Accepting the role of the elder family member in treatment
  3. Development of knowledge and professional skills.

(3) Helping to stabilize the elder's life.

The outcome of these strategies was "co-existence with disease."

http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/copd-information-center/clinical-guideline-addresses-treatment-of-cop...

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Replies
elvan

Well, I guess that at 67, I would be considered elderly by some.  I think it is imperative for patients, ALL patients, to be partners in their health care and in their health care plan.  We all need to be proactive regarding our health care and if we disagree with medical advice, we need to SAY so, no one knows your body as well as you do.  I notice that more than one of these courses of treatment are not highly recommended...what works for some does not work for all.  Treatment for COPD is not a one size fits all regimen as you know very well and you help to educate people about their options, I thank you for that because there are suggestions that you made that I brought up to my doctor who would otherwise, likely not have followed through.

0 Kudos

Knowledge is POWER!