cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pongaselo

WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

I have a question. I want to know why I should want a cigarette. So my daughter and her boyfriend came over last night for a movie, a glass of wine and dinner. I went to the store and when I got back she had smoked in the house.  It smelled like a bar at opening time back in the 70's when you could smoke in the bar.  Stale and vile. After that, they smoked on the front porch which was nice fresh tobacco smoke. Soo delicious and inviting, so wonderful. How come in about 5 minutes it smells so vile. So I wanted to go ahead and enjoy a smoke with the kids which is fine, I have busted my butt for the last 3 weeks preparing and then roughly a week of not smoking, no big deal. All it is is little arguments with myself or maybe the monster in my head. Sarcasm aside, this has been a pain in my butt so since I did the work, I want to know, if I give in to the asshole in my head who wants a cigarette, WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?  They don't taste good, they wreck food, the house smells like shit again and there are rumors that they might be bad for your health.  If I am going to cave, there has to be something good that I want as a reward. What is it?  Thats my question.

14 Replies
JustSharon

absolutely nothing is in it for you unless you want to add up the guilt and shame that you will feel when you cave.  Its always embarrassing  to come back after a slip or a relapse. absolutely nothing except the stench in your home,  on your clothing, on you're breath. absolutely nothing accept the chance of cancer, COPD. heart disease, etc. So there you have it just what's in it for you!

YoungAtHeart

What JustSharon‌ said! 

What's in it for you is an addict's life of always needing that next fix.  Spending your hard earned money, your time, your breath for that momentary hit of dopamine, then needing it again, and again, and again.

(btw - cigarette smoke on a breeze STILL smells good to me - but a thought is not a call to action!)

Nancy

cigarette smoke when contained in a space or on people's clothes stinks.

On a breeze from a distance works for me but I don't seek it out.  🙂

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/7011-the-ments 

c2q

Well, let's see,

• you get to help perpetuate the myth that smoking is pleasurable. Even though studies show  that 90% of people who smoke wish they never started.
  • If you're not having a happy life, it will be over about 10 years sooner if you smoke. Or even if you are having a happy life, but it's less of a benefit then.
  • You are making some people very, very rich. In 2010, the combined profits of the six leading tobacco companies was $35.1 billion. 
  • Nicotine is the major active ingredient in tobacco; nicotine is classified as a drug. That makes the cigarette a drug delivery device. When you smoke a cigarette, You are do drugs, legally. If that's a plus to you.

That's what's in it for you.

freeneasy

If you start to get into an argument with yourself you're putting yourself in a dangerous place. The junkie within is relentless and won't quit until you give the rational you permission to ignore it. 

Giulia

The more you entertain the thought of smoking, the more the thought of smoking will exist.  The object of the game is to turn our thoughts AWAY from smoking and onto other scenarios.  There's nothing in it for you, but everything in it for the addict in your head who's ultimate goal is to just bring you back into the smoking slavery fold.  

elvan

pongaselo‌ If you can HONESTLY come up with something, let me know.  It is the question, basically, that I asked myself whenever I had a crave.  If smoking could fix whatever it was that I was dealing with...I would give myself permission.  Never happened and over three years later, never has.  

I am so glad that you are continuing to stack those days!  Keep it up.

Ellen

0 Kudos
dwwms

There's NOTHING in it for you! Something I have to keep reminding myself. Problem is, even IF I thought I could enjoy just one on the porch in the evening, I KNOW it doesn't end there. It just reignites the addiction who won't be satisfied unless I go full throttle! Your list is right on though I'd add a couple of more things - they make you feel like an outcast and they cost a lot!

0 Kudos
Happier2

ya remember when there used to be those conversations (waay back in decades ago high school) about the cutest guy and who had a great kiss.. ? Well, Mr A.Hole gives a terrible, sloppy, smelly (gross) kiss. I will ruin any thought of a good meal, or ever going out with him again.  And not to mention feeling like your gonna gag, cause Mr Hole is a lying - two timing pig. He promises all these wonderful pleasures... try to remember that last time you  heard that and said to yourself "not gonna believe that again". Sorry, I believed it too.. never again. So the answer to his lying mouth. . Ya don't get anything but a miserable feeling and wishing you hadn't believed it. Run1!  it's a lie!

0 Kudos