cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quitting Tools

Sip water to help you through your cravings. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
55 Replies
shaagen84

Will sugar free gum help though cravings

0 Kudos

Yes, sugar free gum will help quite a bit.

0 Kudos
susanjones

i have been useing medication to help me and hard candy i slipped up once now i am back on track

0 Kudos
toni7904

Hi, I am new to this group. I want to quit but need help. I have tried about all the drugs they have out to help quit but nothing has help me so far. Now I am trying to quit by cutting down on the amount I smoke each day & hopefully eventually quit. I am using the electronic cigarette which has helped me cut down from about 1 1/2 packs a day to about half a pack a day. My question is, am I just going from one bad habit to another? This is helping me to quit cigarettes but will I become dependent on the electronic cigarettes?Thanks for any advise you can give.

0 Kudos

Hi Toni,

I am by no means a professional or expert at this quitting smoking routine, I am only telling you what my experience has been. I am 50 years old and smoked for 32 years. If I can do this, YOU CAN DO THIS!!! 

In my opinion, yes, the "e-cigarette" is just shifting your habit. You have cut yourself down to 1/2 a pack and this is where self-discipline chimes in. I would suggest you quit the e-cigarette - get rid of it. Set you a quit date and hold to that. Give yourself a couple weeks to get used to the idea but remind yourself daily that as of that certain date, you will be a non-smoker for life.

Next, go to http://quitsmokingonline.com/ on a daily basis and read the online book. This helped me to get my mind set on quitting on October 1st. 

Only buy enough cigarettes to get you through to your quit day. 

I know this sounds silly, but the night before I quit, I went outside with my last cigarette and basically had a "funeral" for it. I told my habit thanks for the memories but I think I have it from here. I smoked that cigarette right down to the butt and enjoyed every last puff - then everything went in the trash. No stash, to tucking away for emergencies. 

For the next week or so I changed my morning routine so that it didn't remind me to have a cigarette. I waited an hour or so before I had my morning coffee and would sit and sip my water and do deep breathing exercises. Sit up straight, breathe in deep through your nose and exhale slowly out your mouth. Take a couple sips of water and do it again. It really works. Don't think about a cigarette. Concentrate on this exercise. 

When that little moment creeps up on you for a cigarette, immediately make yourself think of something else. Think of a favorite song in your head, do something to distract your mind. Once you get in the habit of doing this, it will come naturally.

One thing I always say to myself when something happens that makes me want a cigarette is "a non-smoker has done this and THEY don't need a cigarette" and it is amazing the power that the power of suggestion can have. Brainwash yourself. We are such creatures of habit, all we need to do is change our thoughts and habits.

The first week will be a trial for you but I promise, drinking the water, deep breathing and being accountable to yourself and you will feel like a new person. Chew gum and suck on hard candies. Believe me, I went through bags the first couple weeks. 

I am only 23 days into my quit and already I can smell more than I did before, my taste buds are coming back into action and I can even take fast, brisk walks during my breaks at work rather than smoking. I work in a huge, two story building and me and my friend speed walk up the stairs and down the hall and down the back stairs and back around for 15-20 minutes twice a day. I cannot believe how much my breathing has improved in just this short of a time even after that vigorous workout.  

Stick close to this site and http://quitsmokingonline.com/ and you will be amazed at how great you will feel. Give it a chance. Give yourself a chance and see how you do. 

0 Kudos
nicky215

that's all really good advise smurfette, thanks!!!

0 Kudos
pepper321

Thanks I am new to this, I must stop I do not like myself because I smoke

0 Kudos
julia7

great tips Sherry as I having been using an e cig like Toni

i do know its just a replacement & now have to set a date to stop these

best wishes to all~Julia

0 Kudos
leigh2025

I've finally set my quit date (Nov. 15) but originally it was supposed to be next week. My nerves are getting the best of me and I keep finding excuses to push it back, even though I'm ready to be done with it now. I've made several attempts to quit smoking in the past and really want this to be it so I'm hoping this site will provide the support I was missing in the past. Thanks to everyone for being a part of the "community."

0 Kudos