cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Hotshor5528

Having hard time

I quit 5 months ago but the urges are so bad I'm afraid I'm not going to make it.

23 Replies
MePlus3

First breath and think what will it change not a darn thing! Do you really want to experience the early days all over again? That's what going to happen if you wake up those nicoreceptors in your brain. Hold on for dear life to your quit you've made it so far! Why give in now? Is there anything in particular causing the urges? Hungry, tired, bored, stressed? Figure out what's causing it and please KNOW that smoking is not the answer! 

shashort

Hang in there, don't give in.  Do what you have to do shake it off.  Get up go for a walk, jump up and down.  Put your head in the ice box to cool your thoughts down, If it keeps up bite into lemon rind and all.  I resorted to that one time and let me tell you one time is all it took and I will NEF (never ever forget) thay bite in that lemon.  All I do now is think of the lemon and shakes the craves.  Really think do you wImage result for person biting lemon rind and all with puckerant to give up 5 months for smoking.  I don't think so. You can do this NOPE!!! (not one puff ever) gets you freedom success.

MarilynH

You can do this quit, deep breaths, go for a walk, give your head a few shakes and tell yourself as many times as you need to that you don't smoke anymore because you've made it through 5 glorious smoke free months and you can through these rough patches too because S.I.N.A.O - Smoking Is Not An Option. Hotshor5528 hang on tight to the best gift that you'll ever give yourself which is the gift of LIFE !

Why did you quit?

Have you been fighting quitting the whole way?

What do you think is pushing you to smoke?

Isn't it simply the memories connected to smoking?

You've come so far.

Put on the cloak of willingness and move forward.

YoungAtHeart

When those craves hit, DO something!  Anything!  Sing out loud, march in place, take a deep breath of air from the freezer, let ice cubes melt in your mouth, think of the name of a city for each letter of the alphabet...

Just don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your head unchallenged.

You should be at the end of this phase of your quit very soon.  Hang in there - it gets easier!

Nancy

I  tell you one thing - were you to relapse, you would regret it before you even put the first Sickerette out and you would keep on smoking anyway and you would find it harder than ever to Quit again and none of the problems in your life would be one iota better! How do I know? I've done it! Don't go there!

Digging in when things get tough is the difference between smobriety and Recovery! It hurts sometimes to recover but in the end it's worth it!

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  You have come to the right place fto continue your quit journey.  You are at a rough spot..  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/8313043/activities-you-can-do-to-keep-yourself-busy-ins...   

here is a link that may help

sparky26

Look at all this great support , hope you well give a little up date this helps us , and you help others who may be struggling with their quit 

I would just like to ask you to please , believe in yourself , don't say you don't think you can make it . Words have power, and the conversation you have with your addictive self are key . Not unusual for these thoughts to come along at this time, don't give power to it like Nancy said get busy . You are going forward not backwards

bonniebee

sayings quit mountain top.jpgHi !

Please don't quit on your quit you know you will regret it !!!  Tell us how you began your quit and how you have maintained it for 5 months and when did you began  to feel like you were  losing it . Write it out it and  let us know how you  feel  it will not only will help us to help you  but may help you too !

The thoughts you allow to roam around in your head have power ,so change your thoughts think positive thoughts the minute the old addict inside starts talking to you ( I call it the  Nicodemon  hahaha  )You must keep a sense of humor too ! Hang in there and congrats on your fantastic 5 months of freedom !!!sayings quit mountain climber hanging on 2.jpgsayings quit mountain climbers together.jpg

Together we are stronger !