cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

What Starts The "Permission Argument" With You?

I believe it comes down to two things. Emotions or overindulging in alcohol.

What was it for you the last time you lost a quit?

and,

What is your plan so it doesn't happen again?

Why not talk yourself out of smoking? It requires no more effort than talking yourself into smoking.

6 Replies
MarilynH

The last time I lost a quit was twenty some yrs ago and it was because of one too many drinks! But this quit is heading for three glorious yrs and it's because I have the right mindset and I have had since before my quit date because of this site and all of the reading and preparing for my 1st day and I was willing, determined and totally committed to succeed and with vigilance I will continue to live a life of Freedom, thanks Dale.

MePlus3

Mine was emotions. Im sure everyone here know and probably tired of hearing about my breakup lol heck I'm about tired of talking about it! Anywho when it happened it felt like the world was closing in on me in that moment I didn't know what to do honestly I was mentally lost I screamed cried and still didn't feel better. It felt like I had fell into a dark pit. So I turned to the only thing I knew that took my mind away from everything going on around me (or at least that was what I convinced myself it had done) I blew it that night. 

What I plan to do different? Well I see now that I lack coping and problem solving skills so I'm working on ways to handle stress right now so when it come I'll be prepared I also compare myself to those who had never smoked surely they lost a loved one, had a relationship end, my neighbor has at least 8 kids close in age and she doesnt smoke, there are people who go through life on life terms without the crutch surely I can do it too! I have to get rid of all EXcuses and know that smoking won't change a thing! Exercise can take my mind off a problem just as equally. Maybe a long walk, treating myself and the kids to ice cream my point is there are ways to cope without smoking and I'm learning them now so I can use them in the future. I thought of a 5 min rule (this literally just came into my mind) lol when I'm angry or upset take 5 mins to think of all the coping skills I've learned and I MUST do them or at least one also my therapist and I are working on relaxing with breathing. I hadn't mastered it yet because I inhale too hard she said I would pass out if I kept doing it like that. We're also working on training my mind she said think of a stop sign and focus on it allow one thought at a time. Those are the things I plan to do should my emotions cloud my quit. And let's not forget yell here for help! 

Deena-A-Yenni

This speaks volumes to me Dale so thanks.  I debated my quit a couple of times these past days and fortunately I won the debate.  It took less time to keep my quit than it had to lose it.

CatsRsmart

Good point.

It was both for me.

elvan

JonesCarpeDiem‌ I lost many quits in the past, the last two, the ones in the months before this one, were both because I was overwhelmed with anger. I sat and smoked FURIOUSLY...puff, puff, puff, puff...did it help?  NOPE, I was still angry but now I smelled and I was right back on the path to being completely taken over by my addiction.

I lost many a quit due to rebellion. I thought I could smoke and not "get caught!"