cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
margie3

Now I know what so many of you meant by the "cold turkey headaches". Guess my brain cells are on an oxygen high!!!!
0 Kudos
ann-king

Ok...so tell me how you do this. You set a date...and you have to start that morning, right? So you get up...then what do you do?
0 Kudos
ann-king

Thank you Ellen. Just knowing it is "normal" helps! Im considering making this Sat my date...but really really afraid. I would try sooner, but I would rather be home on the weekend if Im going to be a raving lunatic for the first 2 days. Ive heard day 3 is the toughest...or 4 (can't remember) so Monday won't be good to come in to work. But I've tried the "wait for a 3 day weekend" routine....and well, as Im sure people here know... that could go on forever.
0 Kudos
nancympearson

Ann, boredom , cravings and smoking out of habit are intertwined. Boredom, with time on my hands because I am retired, has been THE habit. The boredom leads to cravings I believe. I just know that if you keep yourself very busy when quit it really helps you get through hell week---the first week. Staying busy and staying on this computer saved me from needing to smoke. Listen to Ellen's answer that you are being driven by the addiction is so true. Once you make your mind up to quit and stay focused on the positive your fears will take care of themselves. Once you feel the confidence in yourself build, your fears will disappear. You can do this! Nancy
0 Kudos
nancympearson

It took me 1 week to get to my quit date before I quit. My father smoked for 56 years and never once tried to quit. One day he laid his cigarettes on the table and said he was quitting and he never smoked again. Me on the other hand quit everyday for years and it never took till this one time. I believe if you are ready you are ready to quit for good. Remember when you do, the mantra of N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever. That is the key to my success this time. Those cigarettes tease you to think one won't hurt----but it does hurt. So when you quit---quit. You will have success I know it. Keepning you in my prayers, Nancy

0 Kudos
nancympearson

Hi Ann, Welcome to our group. You picked one of the best groups on this site. I was scared to death to quit too. I loved my smokes. They were my best friends, psychologist, and minister. They were always there when no one else was and I lived through some pretty tough times. Just the thought of quitting terrified me. I was just sure I couldn't do it. I smoked for 44 years at two packs a day. I had developed COPD with chronic bronchitis----I had to quit. I prayed to God for help and He led me here to this site and all the wonderful people here. These people had faith in me when I had no faith in myself. I picked December 31st, 2008 as my quit date. I stuck to this site like glue. I read read read everything, I wrote blogs, I went to other people's pages and read their comments and I would comment on their comments. The people on this site helped me through all the rough times and here I am 10 months later---a nonsmoker. You will be able to to this with the support and encouragement of everybody on this site. I know you will. It worked for me and now my new best friend is this site. I don't need those cigarettes anymore. I have made some tremendous friends and I am a much happier and self confident person. Hang onto this site and let go of those cigarettes---we will be here for you!

0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Welcome, Christina! I know it's scary....the thought of never having another cigarette, especially when you started smoking as young as you did. You don't know what it feels like to be a non-smoker, but I smoked so long...51 years, that I forgot what it was like and I did manage to stay quit for over a year now. Eventually, everything you do becomes natural not to smoke while you're doing it. By reading on people's blogs and pages and going to WhyQuit.com, you'll find a lot of motivation to just do it. There's always someone online to help you over the rough spots if you just send out a blog or a comment. YOU CAN DO THIS!
0 Kudos
ellen5

Ann, thank you for sharing your story. My mom had cancer of the larynx and COPD and died at 67. I have quit for a year now and have never felt better. I am guessing that much of your anxiety is related to your fears about what your life will be if you CONTINUE to smoke. There is NO downside to quitting. Sure, some irritability to be certain, but that won't kill you. Please read Allan Carr's book. Many here have read it and found it to be of help. As a matter of fact, I will gladly send you my copy if you want to email me your address. Let me know. And PLEASE do yourself a favor and get ready to quit. You will be amazed at how relieved you will be not worrying about your health all the time.
0 Kudos
Susan57

Good Morning, Hope every one's day goes well, my weekend was great, getting ready for another one. In a little while I will be going out for the walk, the rest of the day goes well after a good walk.
  Yesterday I painted the eyes on 'Twinkle', this is a piggy bank for our Ceramic Group, we have a craft fair once a year, hopefully 'Twinkle' will sell.
  Hi Ann, welcome to the best site on the Web, this helped me tremendously, in the beginning I was here every day, another good site is whyquit.com, this site is packed with all kinds of information to help get you going and keep you on the wagon. In the beginning I was thinking of doing the 'Chantix', decided against this because my quit date was set for Sept 1st, with Chantix you smoke until the Chantix kicks in. 63 days later, 'life is good' without cigarettes. The beginning was rough, something I will never repeat in my life. Both of us are some what on the same page, I am 57 and smoked for 45 years, so this was not easy for myself, giving up something you did for 45 years is not pleasant, I loved smoking, especially with a cup of coffee in the morning, after dinner, with friends, etc.....this habit is no loger accepted in many places. I believe the 'Great American Smoke Out" is soon, why don't you make that your quit date? Whatever you decide, we are here for you. Have a good day, Cheers, Susan THE BEST WAY IS COLD TURKEY, NOT ANOTHER PUFF
0 Kudos