cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nancy_o

Illinois Quitters

Is this still an active group? When I opened this group It says that there are only 3 discussions with them last updated in the spring of 2008. I would love to 'meet' with other Illinoisans trying to stop this nasty habit.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
56 Replies
hillegal

April 6th is my day. I have lived in Illinois for 24 years and I am 24 years old. I started smoking ten years ago, and feel like i have smoked ten years too long. I am trying to replace my want to smoke with music. i have been playing guitar for ten years and i am hoping to tackle a genre of music once I quit. Acoustic songs of life.
0 Kudos
nancy_o

Welcome Hillegal. I guess it's just you and me on here as I never had a reply to my note on March 23. Congratulations for deciding to stop smoking. I saw your bio and saw where you want to get married but weddings are expensive. I stopped 15 days ago and according to my stop meter I have saved $70.15 (that's smoking 1 pack per day at $4.60). I also saw you were from Belleville. I'm from Herrin - that's down the road from Carbondale and Marion. Actually I work in Carbondale at SIU. You have a GREAT SMOKE-FREE DAY.
0 Kudos
nancy_o

You just have to think positive that yes I can do this. It is not going to be easy though. Is your sweetie also going to quit? I personally feel that would be good for both of you but I am not an expert and am in no position of telling people what to do. Also another thing is keep a sense of humor and go to one of the many sites here at becomeanex.org. I feel blessed to have heard about this. Just remember the yes I can attitude.
0 Kudos
mike4

I guess that people from the great state of Illinois are too scared to quit and talk about it. No Nancy you're not the only two on here I just haven't checked, because like you, I noticed that there was no activity. There is now by golly and we need to keep it that way. Welcome Hillegal,have a great SMOKE FREE weekend.
0 Kudos
nancy_o

WooHoo, you can say that again brother! Better yet let Southern Illinois take over! hehehehe.......Hey Hillegal, how's it going today? Are you still preparing for the big day on the 6th? You can and will succeed. Have faith in yourself. 🙂
0 Kudos
hillegal

I am still preparing, its crazy how irritable i get and I havent even reached my day yet. Tomorrow I have band practice and I smoke a bunch when I play. So my goal for tomorrow is to make it through with out smoking. Great Job on 15 days, that is amazing! Thank you for the support, I have no other choice this time; like Nancy O said, weddings are expensive and I cant have both that and cigs. Seems like an easy decision.
0 Kudos
hillegal

Yes she is quitting with me, I think that is the hardest part. We like to bicker so we can smoke. but I think we are both aware of that now. last time we got into a huge argument and then went and bought a pack, and neither of us wanted to. We just did!. Yes I can quit smoking!! YES! I CAN!
0 Kudos
nancy_o

Hillegal, I think that is great that both of you are trying to quit as I think you both can be supportive of each other. I can only imagine living with someone and the both of you are trying to stop. I wish you both to stop. Just keep reminding yourselves the two biggest incentives: your son (who is just adorable) and your wedding. Keep up the positive attitudes and remind yourselves 'YES I CAN. Have a GREAT SMOKE-FREE DAY. 🙂
0 Kudos
mike4

Good morning to all in Illinois who are still SMOKE FREE and loving it. Hope everyone had a good weekend and didn't give in to the urge. There were a couple of times that I really wanted to, especially when I woke up at 2 this morning to find the basement flooded and no working sump pump to get rid of it.Oh well I guess that's just part of the trials that you have during one of the toughest things that you will ever try to accompolish. Have a great day I have to go check on my NEW pump that I had to buy with all the money I had saved the last 2 weeks by not smoking!
0 Kudos