Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coug

Recipe of the day: EASY AND HEALTHY GRILLED VEGGIES

EASY AND HEALTHY GRILLED VEGGIES

• 3 red bell peppers, seeded and halved
  •    
  • 3 yellow squash (about 1 pound total), sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
  •    
  • 3 zucchini (about 12 ounces total), sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
  •    
  • 3 Japanese eggplant (12 ounces total), sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
  •    
  • 12 cremini mushrooms
  •    
  • 1 bunch (1-pound) asparagus, trimmed
  •    
  • 12 green onions, roots cut off
  •    
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
  •    
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  •    
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  •    
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  •    
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
  •    
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves
  •    
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  •   

Directions

Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or prepare the barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush the vegetables with 1/4 cup of the oil to coat lightly. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper. Working in batches, grill the vegetables until tender and lightly charred all over, about 8 to 10 minutes for the bell peppers; 7 minutes for the yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, and mushrooms; 4 minutes for the asparagus and green onions. Arrange the vegetables on a platter. The key to getting those great grill marks is to not shift the vegetables too frequently once they've been placed on the hot grill.

Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, parsley, basil, and rosemary in a small bowl to blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the herb mixture over the vegetables. Serve the vegetables, warm or at room temperature.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
owlfeather

MMMMMMMMMMM.  My fav.  grilled veges.....

0 Kudos
kris54

YUMMMMMMM...................  One of my favorites too!!!  Looks SO Yummy!!

0 Kudos
Ex_Nancy

This looks great Coug...have you tried these recipes and basically kept your same weight?   I decided to lose 4-5 lbs and have been excercising and I'm going for less meat, no oils or processed or junk or fried foods..

0 Kudos
coug

I have always tried to eat healty even when I snack I stick with fruit and rice cakes things like that

0 Kudos
Ex_Nancy

Yes, it was you with the rice cakes ...I tried those and hated them. Is there a better rice cake or some organic granola thing I can snack on??? Hoping you have some ideas...but no rush. It seems like everyone wants the ideal lo-cal eating life-style...but each year it seems like I have to go the extra mile to maintain my weight....I mean the last thing I want is greasy bacon, steaks or any oils, just enough healthy food that I am able to burn up,LOL   😕  Maybe you can give us all ideas later on...dale is doing his portion and calorie-control stuff too and for the first time in a LONG time, I am watching my calories too....no white breads or rice, white tortillas or corn tortillas either...:D

0 Kudos
coug

Quaker makes all diffrent flavors even chocolate and you can have like 14 snack cakes for under 100 calories. Grapes are also good and hits the sweet spot. I love water melon,cantalope,honey dew and sometimes at the begining of the week I throw together a fruit salad. I also love raw veggies and dips.

making your own veggie dips,you can make them lo cal with no persevatives. Maybe I should start posting lo cal snack ideas for awhile?

0 Kudos
Ex_Nancy

PLEASE Coug...PLEASE! I'm clueless in the kitchen but I can tell my husband what to do!   My exercise books say only lean turkey and chicken...NO fats, or very little. I think even olive oil is 18 fat grams per tablespoon, and for weight loss we need to keep the fat grams low because not all calories are EQUAL,lol   Those Quaker snacks sound better...probably the chocolate is COCAO!!!!  xoxo

0 Kudos
Madyzsgocka

but Coug.....aren't the rice cakes loaded with carbs? I love grilled veggies, thanks for this one.

0 Kudos
coug

this is what I found on rice cakes hope it helps

Puffed Rice Cake

Per 1 cake - Calories: 35kcal | Fat: 0.25g | Carbs: 7.34g | Protein: 0.74g  
Other sizes: 1 small - 8kcal , 1 cubic inch - 7kcal , 1 serving - 35kcal ,
0 Kudos