cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

michaelin

hello

hi, my quit date is 12-20-15. i need all the help i can get.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
johio

Welcome Michaelin.....You can do this

0 Kudos

I was you last year.  Now I'm almost at my year mark.  Read and come back to the site daily.  Get educated on what you are dealing with.  Addiction.  

NOPE

0 Kudos

Good morning, michaelin.  So today is THE DAY!  You've come to the best place I know for help quitting smoking.

Congratulations on a great decision.  Stick with it and you will discover rewards you haven't even imagined yet.  You are embarking on a journey to FREEDOM.  Not only will you be an ex-smoker, you will be the master of your addiction.  That is what we are truly battling.  Our addiction to nicotine.

I've found the more you know about beating your addiction to nicotine, the easier it is to quit smoking.  And that really is what it is all about.  You don't really even want to smoke.  Otherwise you wouldn't be here.  But you are addicted to nicotine, (we all are here,) and that is the nicodemon against whom we all struggle.  Once you are on to his nefarious ways and deceitful lies, you will find it within you to stand up for yourself and say, "NO MORE."  Not One Puff Ever = N.O.P.E.

The best way to get educated is to read the Allen Carr book, The Easy Way To Quit Smoking.  I recommend doing the tasks outlined on this site in preparation for your quit, (even if you've already begun your quit,) because the first couple weeks, as you probably know already, are not what most people call fun, (sorry Mr. Carr.)  But if you've planned ahead what you will do instead of smoking, since you won't be doing that anymore, you will get through.  And the only way to the other side, to the freedom of living smoke-free, is through.  You can do this!

There are a handful of members here we all affectionately refer to as Elders; folks with sturdy, steady quits under their belts that hang around simply to help us newbies along.  I'm only 112 days into my quit, and they are an invaluable resource.  Read their blogs, take their advice, trust them.  They mean well.  Even Giulia!  Her bark is much worse than her bite.

Then, hang around here as much as you please.  Whine, cry, scream, (wait!  hit the brakes!  SCREEEEEECH!!!  What am I saying?)  Laugh, giggle, smile and dance your way through this journey.  It really is, as much as anything else, how you look at it.  You are not giving up anything.  You are gaining everything, from a healthier body, to greater self-esteem, to a whole new awakening on life!  It truly is freedom, and it's yours for the taking.  Sometimes I wonder if it is not better to be an Ex-smoker than a Never-smoked.  You enjoy the same freedoms as they, but having been a slave to the addiction for so many days, you appreciate the freedom so much more.

So welcome aboard.  We are all here to walk this journey with you.  Educate, prepare, commit, and then quit.  It really is as simple as that.

Willing you success!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX   

You have come to the right place if you are making the decision to commit to quit smoking.  At EX our resolve is to never smoke again.  NOPE “Not one puff ever.”  I suggest that you follow the steps on the web site pages along with reading, writing, studying, researching and blogging if you like.

This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be a nonsmoker.  If you haven’t read it or have not been informed here is a link to Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  It is an easy read suggested by the “elders” (those with 1+ yrs. quit).

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Also check out www.whyquit.com.  There is a lot of additional beneficial information to read and study.  Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101. Both were extremely helpful for me.  Stay close to the site and learn, ask questions. Read the blogs and most of all enjoy your commitment to quit smoking.

If you should need something to do here is a link that will help

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...).

If you take the time to do the work you will have success.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I also highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read.

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Good Morning Michealin! You have given the best information above! With willingness and commitment, you will succeed! Welcome to EX. Stick close, this is a great place to quit smoking! Welcome!

Terrie  167  DOF

0 Kudos