cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

joyeuxencore

Why are you so hard on the concept of cheating when quitting smoking?

When I go to Weight Watchers and say I cheated on dessert, they still applaud and cheer me on to keep trying." "Why don't you offer me similar support with cigarettes?" Recently, an angry clinic participant attacked my lack of enthusiasm for her technique after relapsing on her fifth day without smoking.

I explained that trying to change a behavior such as overeating or an addiction such as smoking requires two distinctly different treatments. While it is true that "cheating" in dieting is a common practice under certain conditions such as holidays or parties, cheating with an addiction is synonymous with total relapse. Taking a piece of cake will not make a person 50 pounds heavier the next day. On the other hand, taking a cigarette can and will lead an ex-smoker right back to smoking, usually reaching the old level of consumption within days or weeks.

While many weight control programs may condone the possibility of a slip, dealing with addictions such as heroin, alcohol, or nicotine requires the total commitment of the addict to completely avoid any use of the abused substance. Because of this simple rule of total abstinence to ensure success, I can offer no applause to any individual who allows himself or herself to take a cigarette because of stress, weight, partying or any other reason.

Relapse is relapse, no matter what the reason for its occurrence. The goal of any ex-smoker is to avoid returning to the nicotine addiction. When you encounter situations that seem to warrant having a cigarette, take a minute to reflect back on what it meant to be a drug addict.

Coughing, wheezing, sore throats and shortness of breath. Constant threats by your doctor of "quit smoking or else." Bad breath and smelly clothes and hair. Headaches, exhaustion, and just generally feeling miserable on days when you oversmoked. Always worrying that you may have left a cigarette burning in your home or office. That panicky feeling when you realized you ran out of cigarettes. Being unwelcome in the homes of family and friends while smoking. Spending hundreds or thousands of dollars a year on cigarettes and clothes and furniture which needed to be replaced because of cigarette burns. Nagging from children or parents to quit. Being the only person at a party smoking and feeling like a social misfit. Being totally controlled by cigarettes. Not a pretty picture, is it?

So next time you feel like you need or "deserve" a cigarette, consider the consequences. There is no such thing as cheating, slipping or experimenting. There is no chance of smoking "a cigarette." The only options that exist for you are success or failure. Total freedom or total relapse. Within seconds you will realize that you have no desire to return to such a miserable existence. You can pat yourself on the back for overcoming another obstacle. You realize you like yourself too much to smoke. Continued success depends on one simple technique - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Tags (1)
12 Replies

because it was in barbaras group and she decided she didn't want it there.

hows that for taking action.

But you see Barbara, people save things because of people manipulating people's opinions by deleting posts like this. You aren't the first.

0 Kudos

The truth hurts when you're an Addict. Thank You, Joy!
0 Kudos
pir8fan

Looks like you are posting this to a group blog instead of our main blog! The owner of the group can delete things from the group! Somehow you gotta get back on the main blog page! I am not sure where these lines go blurred!

0 Kudos
Nyima_1.6.13

Quit is quit! In my mind, your quit count is the number of consecutive days of not putting a cigarette in your mouth! Or exhaling through a nostril or the hole in your throat! Jeez, sometimes I think my moving toward smokers to smell their smoke might constitute a relapse!?! Stop smoking = NOPE!

0 Kudos
jojo_2-24-11

If you quit you don't smoke, If you smoke you are a smoker!

0 Kudos
Patty-cake

Thanks for reposting this again. Newbies need to see this.

All who quit smoking need to understand that cheating at your quit and not acknowledging your relapse is a recipe for failure. Those receptors in the brain reawaken with a vengeance. 

nanawendy

Well, I will post this again !! I have 124 days smoke free !!! I earned every one of those days by not smoking on day 4 day 50 or day 69. I have been smoke free for 124 sometimes stressful, sometimes tearful and crave filled days. I wanted to smoke several times, just one puff, but instead I reached out for help and was met with encourgament and advice .I am proud of my smoke free days, because I know in my heart and mind that I deserve to say I am 124 days smoke free.

I am grateful to see this reposted, too.  Today is day 91 for me (I booked a trip to the beach with a friend - first time without my husband and sons in a LONG time - for the 12th - 15 of May not realizing that the 13th is day 100 for me!)  What a way to celebrate Mother's Day and 100 days quit.  I am so excited for some ME time (feels selfish) and a celebration of  my quit - I have not picked up a cigarette in 91 days and I earned the right to be proud!  No cheating - not one - not ever - I am proud of my clock and I don't ever want to have to start over.  Thanks, Joy!!

I'm grateful you reposted this, too, because that casual attitude (oops I slipped) will lead to failure, and its sometimes contagious.   If one person keeps going on and on with their opinion that "slipping" is ok, than other new people might adopt that attitude. Its important that people who understand this addiction, and how to recover successfully from it, express their thoughts on it every once in a while.

And, yea, the truth hurts and addict.  People who can't accpet the truth are usually too comfortable in their denial, and we can only provide examples and hope for the best. 

NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!! 

0 Kudos