cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

carol-t

Really need a program

I was starting to feel bad and tired. Finally donned on me when I woke and my lungs were burning that I went out and had coffee and a cigarette. I began to get mad at myself. I 1st cut way back, I had stopped for a short time with this cutting back then stopping. I was smoking an all natural cigarillo at that time.  About 12 days into this I had a heart attack and was hopitalized for 4 days. I came out and did not smoke I think 8 days. I was glad in the hospital I wasn't craving that bad. I developed a blood clot with phlebitis in my varicose vein leg. It hurt like hell. I knew I had to go to emergency. My husband lit  a cigarette and I said give me one. That was the end of that. It didn't dawn on me I could pretty easily do it again. I went on smoking but always after that tried to cut down and never smoked as much as a package. We moved back to Nevada 2 Yrs. ago in Sept.  It dawned on me we were a bout the only ones in most groups that still smoked. This embarressed me. Of course all the news is out that cigarettes are very bad for us.I was buying ours on line and paying about 1/2 of regular price. Good excuse to go on, never mind they are just as unhealthy if not more  so. I finallygot it through my head I needed to just  get started. My Dr.,about 6 Mos. earlier, had written a Rx for Chantix. Drug store said couldn't fill it as she now wanted more paper work  I went back and found she was requiring you join American Lung Assocition for $15.00 and so I did. With a reciept she wrote the Rx. I set a quit date and started the Chantix. I got a invitation to my nieces wedding late as she didn't realize we had moved. My one sister called to see if I would ride with her so we could smoke. I had'nt quit yet anyway was cutting back on the Chantix starter kit.  I went and did not smoke a lot on whole trip. When I got back thought I need to chnage that date as will feel less stress if I'm more familiar with the process. I had already joined this site too.  I did quit on the date, Oct 30,2013. I have lollowed the programs as best I could and not smoked. My nerves are better and slowing down enough to follow the instructions better. I first thought my lungs have really detereorated to nothing. I had a mmamogram just before moving here 2 Yrs.ago.They thought they saw a lesion on my lung on the x-ray so had me do an MRI, no lesion but my Dr. said found a 'tiny' bit of emphysema. I could tell myself someone living in Phoenix prboably has that without smoking. I lived up in the mountains in AZ. We had lost a daughter and our Granson in that house. She a heart condition and he a freak accident. I could no longer tolerate the house. My kids are 1 in NV andd one close in CA. We moved back. It was hectic. My lungs have gotten better after 8 days.I had been prescibed an atomizer but we changed Ins. and the cost was $75.00. I got through medicare a nebulizerand Albuterol. I have never been able to take it while smoking, it made me worse.  After about 3-4 days I tried it again. It still made me worse. Maybe I draw it to far down and hold it down to long. I will read the directions better. I'm happy today to be able to say goingon 8 days. I'm not known for patience but this has been so worth it. I sure pla on being an EX for as long as I live. Don't have to search for a place to do i,. be embarressed and all the inconvenient things. Thanks for all the help. Carol Turner

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I am glad you are here with us.  I hope you have taken the time to do the reading recommended in response to your previous blog.

The idea is to DISTRACT yourself through any craving.  Taker a brisk walk; march in place; take slow, deep breaths; play a computer game; sing or dance to your favorite music; take a bath.  For stress, you can still take a break - but maybe scream into or beat o a pillow!

You might make a list of reasons you quit to keep with you to remind you when it gets challenging!

Hang in there - you might also take some time to think about what you will do with the money you save!

Nancy 

There is so much good that comes from quitting once you get through the withdrawal. Keep taking it one day at a time! Nancy (Youngatheart) knows what she is talking about! When ou read the sites she has already sent you, you are not only gaining a new understanding of Nicotine Adiction, you are literally retraining your brain! I also encourage you to participate in the Blogs regularly. This is a Very Supportive Community who will help you through the rough days and celebrate with you during the great days and be there for everything in between!

0 Kudos
gatosdiablos

SO glad you found your way here CAROL!  Welcome Welcome Welcome!

Try to come here every day.  Blog every day.  READ OTHER BLOGS.  and LISTEN to these thoughtful, wise people with LOOOOOOOONG QUITS, they really know their stuff.

I'm at day 30, can't believe it, I swear it was just yesterday I was day 2 and struggling.

It gets better. But first, one day at a time.  One craving at a time.  Do the work, educate yourself.  And CELEBRATE your choice to become a HEALTHIER YOU.

it's a good thing

0 Kudos

Good for you!  Yes, quitting does require patience, but when we make the decision we will not smoke....no matte what......that patience turns into looking for new ways of being, new ways of living and never giving up finding the new coping skills.

Being a healthier you is an awesome thing....have the patience to discover all the joy that is waiting for you

0 Kudos
paull48

I had smoked cigarettes for 40 years and didn't have a medical problem until this past Summer. I would get severe leg pain in my right leg and ended up going to the Doctor. It seems my smoking had led to PAD (perriphial artery disease) and I only had a 35% blood flow to my right leg.

A medical procedure to open the arteries was a success, but the PAD will return if I smoke. I tried Chantix, but it upset my stomach, then went on Zyban. So far, so good although I have only been smoke free for five days.

I just need to believe in myself, to believe I can free my self from this addiction.

Hang in there Carol...we can do this.

Paul

0 Kudos
mivida2018

I am going on 245 days is not easy but not imposible. My sister Die almost two month ago she could never stop smoking.  and I will share this.     To You my Sister my Mother my Friend

can believe is been 5 months since I quit smoking. My mother  died on March 4th 2018  and I thought I was going to relapse.

But  I guess what I didn't I am so happy. I was strong to say I don't smoke any more I don't want one. My sister has COPD

and she has been several times at the Hospital almost about to die and she hasn't stop smoking for good. She smokes from two to 3 cigarettes a day but she can not stop o she doesn't want to stop she used to smoke 2 packs a day. I smoke for 43 years one pack in  4 days. But is not  an excuse an addiction is an addiction. I hope one day she stops. But for now I am keeping my goal never take another puff again. Living with the cravings is hard sometimes very hard, but we are not alone. With the help of Higher Power we can do it. I found a  support group trough my church call CR Celebrate Recovery. I thought  that program was only available at my church but  is available  and many other churches. The program help me and is helping me a lot as a support group I hope this will  encourage others like me to stay Free from smoking.

Celebrate Recovery meetings? can be found on the internet. Good luck to all of you that are or want to Quit.

My sister  RIP May 5 2018