cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

elk-grove

Quit smoking friend needed

I will be quitting this Monday.  I am down to 2 cigarettes a day and very proud of that.  I will be using accupuncture.   Naturally I am nervous.

Any tips that have worked for anyone?  Looking for all ideas!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
candylance

I think the people that it's the hardest for are people who have high anxiety levels.l got CDs from Amazon that taught me to relax and FOCUS on what's important. Your MINDSET not to smoke is very important. I got cocky and thought I didn't want/need them anymore. NOT TRUE!!Listen to them daily for at least a month, then 3 times a week. Even after you're close to a year, DON'T STOP LISTENING!! My therapist used something to help me deal with my pain that other therapists put together for warriors returning from Viet Nam. My anxiety or nervousness says, "YOU need that cigarette. It helps you to feel more relaxed.) NOT TRUE!! It makes you more nervous. READ, READ, READ about addiction. ONCE an ADDICT, ALWAYS an ADDICT!!! YOU will learn so much about yourself on this journey of self discovery!!

Candy

0 Kudos

typically, when people get down to 5 cigarettes or less, they have put themselves in withdrawal.

I have no idea how much you smoked per day before you cut down to two but you are holding onto smoking for the equivalent of one 2mg piece of nicotine gum per day.

Don't be bamboozled by a process you don't yet understand. Look at it for what it is and make the right turns.

0 Kudos

just dont concentrate on the cigarette. thimk dat u hve lots other important things in life.. dats how i coped up on the first day.. !!

0 Kudos
Deena-A-Yenni

I'm all in favor for accupuncture.  Keep us posted on how that turns out.  Education is key to your quit so I always ask newcomers to read "jonescarp aka dale"s blog.  This will mentally prepare you for your quit and your journey to come.  Welcome and continue to blog.  We're in this together.

0 Kudos
elk-grove

Thanks for all of the tips and for reaching out.

Candy, I have seen the accupuncturist 1 times already.

I think he helped with stress.

It's nice to know that people read the posts and  respond. 

Thanks for the support!

0 Kudos
elk-grove

Here is a book I highly recommend.   They also have a poscast for helping you quit.  the book is Allen Carr's Easy way to Stop smoking.   You can find his blog under the same title.  Check it out.  75%  success rate after 1 year!!

0 Kudos