cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

vickynel

Quitting: Just a question of Willpower?

You say you have enough willpower to achieve many things in your life. But when it comes to cigarettes, it’s not the same..

Please read what follows. You’ll see that willpower alone isn’t enough to quit smoking and to free yourself from tobacco and cigarettes once and for all.

Why are there things that you REALLY want in life ("falling in love", landing the right job, starting a family, choosing the car you drive, the house you buy, the clothes you wear, etc)?
Obviously, it’s because you feel that experiencing those relationships or owning those things will contribute to, or are essential to, your well-being.
And so, to get what you want, you’re ready to overcome problems, accept compromise, and even make sacrifices for a time.

You’ll continue to work as hard as you need to until you get what you want. This is an example of WILLPOWER. As you can see, though, it all depends on A STRONG DESIRE for something.
So you can say that your desire (and the reasons that sparked it) is what motivates you to act. In other words, this is your MOTIVATOR.
Your willpower therefore depends on your motivation. The higher your motivation, the greater your will to overcome the obstacles you’ll meet along the way.

Freeing yourself from tobacco and quitting smoking works in the same way!  Start by forming your motivation, and willpower will follow!
Because of your motivators, you’ll have the willpower to implement the methods that will allow you to reach your goal: to stop smoking

Putting theory into practice

To increase your motivation to quit smoking and get rid of cigarettes, you must:
1) Be convinced of the many downsides of smoking;
2) Identify the benefits TO YOU of living without cigarettes;
3) Know that the benefits and aid you get from cigarettes can be obtained in other ways; and
4) Understand that the problems of quitting are temporary, but the benefits will last for a lifetime.

Quitting is not just a matter of stubbing out a cigarette butt. It’s a process that involves changing your habits and the way you look at things.

Maybe you thought it was enough to stub out your last cigarette and face the ensuing problems on a day-by-day basis? In reality, very few smokers manage to quit this way; most will end up lighting yet another cigarette in front of the convenience store. They can’t cope with the withdrawal from the nicotine their body craves so insistently, or with the psychological unease of experiencing a given situation without their usual crutch. As a result, they end up with a demoralizing sense of failure.

You need to understand this: Getting rid of cigarettes is like preparing for a trip. You need to set a date and make all the necessary preparations. If you pack up at the last minute and don’t bother to learn about your destination, you probably won’t enjoy the trip very much, and it might even be a complete disaster.
Therefore, without good preparation, even if you have solid reasons to quit smoking (your motivators) and if, as a result, your determination to quit is strong, you’re still likely to fail.

So, your success doesn’t depend on your willpower! It’s easy to understand why you didn’t make it in previous attempts. But now,  you certainly have better a chance of making it this time!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Patty-cake

This is a great article. I just looked it up. It's part of the IQUITNOW sheets.

Here's a link to the website. 

THE IQUITNOW FILES ON SMOKING, THE STEPS IN THE PROCESS OF QUITTING, AND THE TIPS ON HOW TO STOP SMOKING AND FREE YOURSELF FROM NICOTINE ADDICTION.

Nice information.

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

It's interesting for me to think that I typically think of will power as it correlates to "white knuckle".    Quitting smoking using the white knuckle approach is a set up for either not making it past a few days or else not having the quality of being smoke-free.   

But when you consider that motivation needs to be key of the foundation and then the greater your will to overcome the obstacles you’ll meet along the way.  I like that.   And one of the first things we learn in beginning our journey is to make the lists:  why want to quit, what to do to distract, even how will we celebrate our milestones.

Great article, thanks.   And thanks to Patty-cake for the link.

Sharon    213 days of Freedom

0 Kudos
cheyenne7

And could I add that if one feels like they didn't prepare as well as they should have...

...they can still prepare and learn while remaining smoke-fee..

...they don't have to restart smoking in order to gain what they need for the trip they already started...just keep learning...

I only add this because I have found myself more than once saying, "well, I didn't prepare properly", or "oh yeah, had I only done ____ before I quit, it would be easier", and "maybe I should just go back (to smoking) and quit right this time" ...lol...

I don't know if others have done this to themselves, but I am definitely guilty of this type of thinking....when I do think this way...I have to tell myself that I'll just have to learn while remaining smoke-free!!!

Great articles VickyNel...thanks for sharing.....the more info we have, the more powerful the quit!!!!

Breakinchains

"The benefits and aid you get from cigarettes..."

What?

Seriously?

There is absolutely nothing good about smoking. There are no benefits whatsoever. This is totally false.

Further, quitting has absolutely nothing to do with will power. A successful quit comes from realizing that there is nothing to be gained from smoking, period. Get rid of the desire to do it, and it becomes much easier to stop.

The idea that anything good comes from smoking is simply not true. 

0 Kudos
constanceclum

Thanks for the info. I love hearing about the idea of the higher the motivation the higher the will power. I think this is why I failed so much in the past and am doing better now. I have to quit if I want to live. I have fairly advanced copd. I already am breathing better.

0 Kudos