cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mark_tillman

Things That Help

How is everyone doing? Just thought I would pass a few things along that have helped me. This is the first time I've been successful and stayed determined to not smoke, even under great stress at work and home.

I found a couple apps that helped me. "Quit It Pro" is a nice one. It shows me all the details of the benefits of staying quit. I often look at it when Im having a craving to remind myself of how far I've come.

I've not had a smoke or drag or anything for 49 days.

I've saved $426.22 in that time that I normally would have spent on smokes (I was a pack a day smoker.) I would have smoked 997 cis in that time.

I also has little bar graphs showing progress of health. Like 'As of one month and 18 days ago the additional carbon monoxcide has left your system'

I also read "The easy way to stop smoking" by Alan Carr. It was a pretty good book, and helps get you in a good frame of mind to quit and really want to stay that way.

I also adjusted my diet to not include soda, and typically much healthyer items, and have been working out for at least a half hour for most days. I've found running on a treadmill helps relieve some of that stress you feel is building inside when you feel an urge to smoke. I'd love to hear what has worked for you.

Also, I've recieved a few emails from people asking to be in the group. I'm not stopping anyone. I believe you can join/comment without me doing anything or approving. All are welcome to join 🙂

For me I needed to quit because I have a 4 month old baby. I had so much guilt all the time. I couldn't take how I felt that even though I really wanted to, I still hadn't quit. That stupid cigs still controlled me. I couldn't logic my brain or body out of it. Finally something clicked this time. I'm not going to say there arn't times where I don't want one. (For sure there are) But the farther away from my quit date I get, the more I have invested in staying quit, the less likely I am to give in to temptation.

I'm feeling good (a little manic at times) but good.

Tags (1)
4 Replies
cheryl_1-1-14

Good for you Mark.  49 smoke free days is an accomplishment.  We hope this is your forever quit too.  Congrats on the new baby!!  That's a huge motivation to stay smoke free.

0 Kudos
cheyenne7

You will be able to enjoy raising your child so much more now....You will be able to run with your child, play, ride bikes, swim, fly a kite, a million other things too AND not stink like stale smoke.....and you will be setting a good example.....

A beautiful gift for both you and your baby....Congratulations on both : )

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
lois2

that is great MARK you stay on track,  congrats on 49 days.

0 Kudos