cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

andreatharp

2HRS no cigs

I have been smoking for 20yrs or so (I'm only 32) and within the first two hours of quitting I feel like I'm going insane. My head hurts, my eyes hurt, my teeth hurt, my stomach hurts, I'm shaky, tired, angry, I keep crying, and worst of all I feel like my arms and legs are twitchy. I sit at a desk all day for work and I keep feeling my arms and legs jerking. My brain tells me one cigarette would make this all go away. The physical withdrawal symptoms seem intolerable. I can't take any medications because I'm pregnant. 

This sucks. I feel like a heroin addict!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
23 Replies

Until you get it out of your system, you are like a heroin addict.

The best part? it takes 72 hours for the chemical to leave your system.

The not so best part: you will have some of these symptoms for 2-3 weeks.

Are you willing to be uncomfortable to get rid of this beast?

LouiseR

Drink lots of water, take slow deep breaths.  At work get up often and walk around a bit. March in place.  You can do this.  Chew on a straw.  It may be uncomfortable but it is so doable and so worth it to be smoke free.  Hang in there.

0 Kudos
andreatharp

I can't give up. I think where I failed in the past was telling myself that if I fail I can just try again. But that gave me a safety net so that everytime it was hard I could smoke and try again later. I don't have a later anymore... all I have is NOW.

0 Kudos

You can get through. When your brain tells you you want a smoke you counter with "I don't do that anymore."

say it out loud to yourself

0 Kudos

Get up and move when you would've smoked.

And move away from the smokers. and the convenience store.

Do some jumping jacks.

Put some ice in your mouth.

Laugh out loud!

0 Kudos
andreatharp

Its funny but the saying it out loud part works. I am at work in a utility closet yelling at my cravings... but hey... whatever works.

0 Kudos

You have to convince yourself until it takes

and it will take

0 Kudos
jonnyfry

One cig will make it go away.....along with the rest of your life!!!  Don't give in.  It will get easier every day.  Think about all the good things that will happen to you very soon. 

Remember " One is too much, and a million is not enough.  If you have ONE, you WILL JUST WANT ANOTHER ONE...AND ANOTHER AND ANOTHER. 

This too shall pass!

Jon

0 Kudos
candylance

Not One Puff Ever! NOPE NOPE NOPE Your brain receptors are begging you for just one puff. Then you have to start completely over. It will be gone before you know it, and then you'll be FREE. FREEDOM IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!!

Candy   d181

0 Kudos