cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nicool

Day 2

I am the anxious type. I can't stand to be late for things and so I will show up for them 20 minutes early and wait in my car, too embarrassed to show how freakishly obsessed I am with punctuality. What's really interesting about that is that it's not my anxiety that drives me to smoke, quite the opposite. I see smoking as a luxurious sort of activity so when I am waiting to go somewhere I think that I don't have time for a cigarette. When I smoke by myself I feel too anxious about the time I am wasting just sitting outside with a cigarette in my hand so I can't finish it. The only way that I can get myself to sit still long enough to smoke a whole cigarette is if I have company, booze, a good book or some combination of these. Company and booze are the worst combonation of all and there are specific people who make it more tempting than others. For example, after my classmates discovered I smoked (I didn't smoke all day at school for a long time so none of them knew) they asked me to come join them. I did and then after I decided to quit, I would still join them sometimes but just decided not to smoke, but just make it a social occasion. It actually wasn't hard. I have one sister in particular however whose smoking magnitism is irresistible to me. I am going to my mom's house this weekend for a family dinner where there will be booze and lots of smokers including my magneto sister. It's going to be really hard, but not impossible to resist.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Strudel

Congrats on your quit! You really need to change how you think about smoking - that is what made the difference for so many of us! Please check out the free course at http://quitsmokingonline.com/ and Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" - http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Read!! Really!! 

0 Kudos

I understand completely about being punctual and smoking with the pre-meeting time. As a journalist, I have burned many cigarettes doing the this. Remember, it is OK to be early and it is OK to show up ten minutes early, even if you've been in the parking lot for 20.

Take your time and come here for any urge. Welcome to true freedom 

0 Kudos

You're not alone about obsessing with being early! But you'll be surprised how relaxing Smoke FREE Living is like! It won't cure your need to be early but it will calm your nerves! Booze is definitely a quit buster but so is hanging out with friends while they smoke! Just because you resisted once or twice doesn't mean that you can keep it up for long! Let them go outside and you stay inside! You will have to ask yourself how committed you are to quitting and decide to separate from smokers and booze in order to succeed! Do your homework! Your perspective will change!

0 Kudos
nicool

Thanks everyone. It was a really hard day today. After having jumped the gun and quit early, somehow I began to feel that I had deprived myself of something. I reminded myself of something that my friend heard in a smoking cessation class. You don't want just one cigarette, you want a lifetime of cigarettes. 

It was a very discouraging day at school and on my way home I was feeling like I had been beat up. I stopped at the store to get my quit aid because with my crazy schedule, I hadn't had time yet. I was tired and cranky and hungry and I had to remind myself that smoking would not take any of those feelings away. Once I got home I realized there was one sneaky cigarette hiding in an empty pack in my purse. If I hadn't bought that $40 pack of gum on the way home I probably would have smoked that cigarette. Instead, I got rid of it, but I kept thinking about cigarettes so I went for a walk. Of course, a man walked by me with a lit cigarette. I wondered if this is an unusual occurrance or if I just noticed it more now and for the life of me I can't figure out which it is. I'm not the type to smoke while I walk. One always interferes with the other. And thankfully, I never quite got the hang of smoking and driving so I am pretty safe in the car. I realized that ever since I left school at about 2:30, I have been in one way or another thinking about cigarettes. Now that I have finished rambling, I must move on to something completely different.

0 Kudos