cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dnktat

Hi All i really need help have tried several times this year

Hi, i really need to stop smoking and have tried several times this year, i quit 2 day's ago, slipped 3 times on the first day, i have gone 10 day's maybe having 10 cigarettes the entire time, i know that doesn't work, and i get frustrated and just strart back up again. i'm using the patch from 1800 quit,i have to call and see if i can join again, i'm not sure how many strikes you get before they can't help i'm calling today. i'm not sure what my triggers are because i'm pretty much a chain smoker. I get out of breath really easy and hate it. one thing i'm doing this time and i know it sounds stupid, i'll close  my curtains first lol but i will start from one end of the  house to the other end and run, i hate running and can't run, so reminding myself how out of breath i am and hacking just might help. I have my grand baby at least 2 times a week and enjoy every second of it. She is the apple of my eye, i have an 11 year old step grand daughter but i consider her my grand daughter and 2 years ago my son and his wife were pregnant with twins, during the pregancy the little girl wasn't growing as fast as her brother, mom had to stay in the hospital 2 weeks due to bp going up at 23 weeks they had to deliver Chandler, Leelyn passed the day before, he was born 1lb 8 oz,  he was a fighter from the get go. 3 months in the hospital with bumps in the road, but he never stayed still arm over matress formed to him, leg hanging out, pulled out his tube, scrunched his little legs up under his tummy. And i'm happy to say now he is a monster lol i believe he is going to be a mountain climer. he has no fear, and he is always smiling, you tell him no and he just looks at you and smiles he can't come to my house because of the second hand smoke, they just found out they are expecting again a real surprise and so i my daughter, i don't really do a lot but last summer i started metal detecting plan on doing more this summer something i have wanted to do for years. i don't really do a lot i'm on a very tight income, but i alway's say it could be worse, and i'm  hoping quitting will get me off my butt. So Thank you for reading my post i can really need the help. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jameyson72

Not meaning to sound insensitive, but it all boils down to one thing: Are you really ready to quit?

Smoking, like any addiction, takes hold of you. It destroys your will power and where you may be extremely strong willed in other areas, where smoking is concerned, you're very weak.

In AA and NA, there are many references to "rock bottom". This is the point at which you've simply had enough and can't live that way anymore. It is at  "rock bottom" that addicts become exes. Though many people will tell you otherwise, I firmly believe you must hit rock bottom before you can ever hope to quit any addiction, whether it be drugs, alcohol or nicoteine. Unless you have hit rock bottom and are genuine and whole-heartedly ready to quit, any attempts to do so will simply be a waste of your time.

0 Kudos
hampton

Well my friend,you came to the right place for some knowledge etc. I too have felt the exact same way sooo many times I attemtped to stop the shit. I feel this time around for me is a little easier because of this site and the people here that have reached out to me. I read as many blog's I can and I bought the book  by Allen Carr"Esay way to quit smoking" Believe it or not I don't like to read much bit there is so much I really didn't know about this addiction.You need to stay strong,just don't do it!!! You have said many reason's why you really need to quit smoking!!! I agree with above message.You really need to tell and think that nicotine has done this to you,Now you can kick the shit and be with the people that need you,that enjoy you. Hang in there. Your first step will prove your on the right step. Stay tuned in here,ASK for help. Continue to do as much research as you can to retrain that brain to think I do not do that anymore!!! Yippeee It's working for me. I'm still struggling,but I refuse to let the addiction win this time around. God bless you.Peace,Deborah.00000000000000000

0 Kudos
Cindy210

Read, study, watch any and all videos on youtube under the search "quit smoking".  Some of them are hypnosis (even if you can't be hypnotized, they are calming and relaxing), EMT (tapping - a Chinese system of tapping out the negative energies), seminars (I really like Dr. Arthur Weaver) and so much more.  I used comedians to help me laugh my way through craves.  Knowing what was happening and being prepared for it made all the difference in the world for me.  Finally, the icing on the cake was this website.  YOU CAN DO THIS!  START RETRAINING YOUR BRAIN! Just tell yourself  "I don't do that anymore".

0 Kudos

N.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
FreeandClear

If you've tried several times and each time you did the same thing to quit, then you may need to change up your methods.  Are you prepping yourself to quit, as EX recommends?  If not, please give it a try?  This is where I got my best running start.  I set my date, I logged on here and read everyday leading up to my quit date and convinced myself that I was truly going to get through this, THIS time.  I also researched and continue to research statistics and articles of illnesses caused by smoking, looking at gross pictures of blackened lungs, wrinkled skin and yellowed teeth to deter my thoughts of smoking. The vision of a 50 year old woman, with the wrinkles of a 70 year old, holding a cigarette between her fingers is so not a good picture to me.  You can do it, just find what works for you and stand by it.  

Best, 

Deborah

0 Kudos
nanawendy

Hello and welcome to the EX family.  The most important thing you can do is educate yourself on nicotine addiction. Education is the key.  Do the readings and set your quit date.  Make a committment to not smoke, under any circumstances and stick to it.  You do not have to hit rock bottom to quit smoking !!!  I smoked for over 40 years. I made the decision to quit, came on this site, listened to the Elders and took their advice. I am 727 days smoke free today !!  We will be here to help you every step of the way, but you have to do the work. No one said it would be easy, but believe me, It is worth it..  Wouldn't you love to have your grandchildren come to your smoke free home ??  You can do this

keep calm and carry on

Wendy

12/31/12

0 Kudos
markarian

My set date was yesterday. I did slip for 2 today though, I'm not proud of me. I tried several time in the past with no real good success. The longest smoke free for me was about 2 months. I'm looking for some advice. The worst thing for me is that my partner smoke. We never smoked in the house and he still goes outside, but the problem is when he does, I know what he's doing out there and sometimes I feel like I want to go out with him. He also smell a lot when he walks back inside that that bothers me. I can't get rid of him !!! So if anybody can give me an idea on how to pass the craving stage when he goes out, please help. Thank you. I want this time to be the right one.

0 Kudos
dnktat

Hi all thank you for all your help, i had to start a new start date it's tomorrow, my patches came today, I live in Michigan and i can get patches for from the state free, you would think if they wanted people to quit smoking the patches wouldn't be $50.00 a box, Markarian have you tried the patches, i used them before and they were good, but i slipped off and on, why something upset me, etc. i'm going to do this i really need and want. i even went 10 day's with only a few slips, i know i can't have butt's in the house, and not ask anyone for a cigarette. Thanks so much everyone, i'll check back a lot 

0 Kudos