cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

schoney50

April 12 2013...

Hi Everyone...hope you had a great day...of course I had the worse day yet...not from cravings but from stress..so that was a big test for me to handle.....BUT ..it was a great learning day too.

From my house guests leaving early in the AM for their flight home..and I had a lovely breakfast ready for them at 6 AM  while my eyes were still closed...... then I missed my apt for acupuncture which at this point I needed more than ever for stress relief...yikes...then the quick visit at the doctor's to check my blood...getting night sweats..since I am 63 that would not be unusual but for me it was...I was dehydrated...soooo now I am getting bloated with Gatorade and Ice water!   The choice was tons of fluids or an IV at the ER for a few hours..... Then I went clothes shopping this afternoon, with all the "Fluids" I looked more for restroom signs than sale signs!!!  Oh I lost 11 lbs from right before I decided to quit and I haven't gained at all!!!

At one point I saw a woman come out of a store and light up a cigarette.... instead of craving one to just "get rid of the stress"I had been piling up all day...I remembered that having a cigarette does not eliminate the reason for stress or the problem of stress...it just makes me stink...and then  the embarassement of a admitting defeat by smoking one lousy cigarette...so on DAY 17 I held my head high....took a deep breath and walked right out of the mall feeling very confident.... then the skies opened up and the worse thunder and lighting downpour started.   Before I could get halfway to the car I had dodged two puddles and ran through the stream of the sewer and some well meaning teenager collecting carts announced to me..."April showers bring May flowers"....I just wanted to swat him with the shopping bags that were now dripping...Sometimes cheerful people should have a warning light blinking so you can avoid them...hmmmmm.  

It was tough but  I still did not give in the the stress and I did get everything done that I planned to do...DAY 17 still no cigarettes  I am proud of being able with the help of your support to celebrate 17 days of a new life...new habits and much more fun and deep breaths....no coughing..no choking...no wheezing..no stinky ole me...and living a new way but the best way ever!   Well now I have to fill up the Gatorade again and get some sleep.It's only past 9 PM..can you tell I am NOT an early bird!!   Let me know how you handle stressful rough days..what do you do,  or think about to get through them...and keep strong and healthy....send you lots of 

{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Barbara in SC  (Schoney50)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Icandothis8

For me - I say the phrase - "How will smoking change the stressor or situation I am facing" and the answer is always it won't but deep breathing and taking a personal time out does - it makes me focus on my health and me - 

I hope this helps you 17 days is incredible and even though the tests are unexpected and often many at one time - you can do this 🙂 Congrats and celebrate you are almost out of your "teens" 🙂 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Slow, deep breaths ----- try this one if you can sit.  Place both hands, palms up, on your thighs.  As you inhale, bring one finger to touch your thumb, then exhale as you let it fall back.  Do all nine fingers, going slower and slower and slower as you do both hands.  If you can't sit, slow, deep breaths usually work for me to dial down the pressure. Just concentrate on each one being a little slower and deeper than the previous one.

And, just think how much slower you would have gotten to your car in that downpour if you were still smoking!

Stay strong!  You ARE doing this!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

0 Kudos
joy41

Hi, Barbara.  I still take walks, deep breaths, drink plenty of cold water, play a couple games on the computer, eat a lot of fresh fruit.  If I'm in the car, I do a lot of singing, and I'm a terrible singer.  My poor husband is trying to patiently put up with me there.  We'll see how he does when we make a five hour drive on Monday. (Ha! Ha!).

It's different for everyone.  I sometimes twirl a baton (yeah, just like I did in high school, a long, long time ago), or just knit row after row (because I really don't know how to make anything), just someething to keep my hands and mind busy.

You'll find what works for you because you really want this quit.  Congratulations on staying strong.  Hope drinking all that fluid doesn't keep you up all night.  Sleep well.

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hey Barb----tough day....but I am impressed that ANY teenager knew "April showers brong May flowers!"  There may be hope for the world yet.   :  )

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Congratulations on another productive smoke free day!

0 Kudos

Well, I had a whole thing typed up, tried to add a picture and had to delete - so will make this short.............................congratulations on saying N.O.P.E.  The good days outweigh the bad.  I went and bought a bunch of body washes, lotions, sprays, scented candles, etc.  I love smelling good.  I really can't add more than what has already been said, except hang in there and be tough..................think about all the benefits you are gaining, daily - and think about what that cigarette will truly solve - NOTHING!!!  Take a walk, drink some water, sweep your patio - anything, but don't pick up that nicodemon!  You are doing great - keep it up and you will feel like a winner!!  You are a winner!!

0 Kudos
jojo_2-24-11

CONGRATS on 17 days! Great Job! Maybe stressed out people should have the warning light bllinking so the cheerful people can avoid them!

0 Kudos
Jenny78

Barbara, love your blog and love that you did not smoke over it!!  That is so GREAT!!

0 Kudos
schoney50

Thank  you to all of my wonderful EX friends for the positive comments...it is now DAY 18 and still not smoking..it seems to get easier everyday..and I am still going all the places I always have and doing all the things that I love to do...This morning was the opening of the Farmers Market..lots of great produce and fun things to see...then off to acupuncture and a quick hair cut...now after lunch I am going to treat myself to watching a DVD....and maybe have a bowl of strawberries!!!  Keep taking deep breaths and smiling it does make the endorphins dance in your head and you get happier every day!

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Barbara in SC  (Schoney50)

0 Kudos