cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

schoney50

HI Newbies

Today I got an upsetting email from another member of EX questioning the motives of this group...are we all really here to quit smoking and support each other or is this just a social group???!!

I know that each one of the members of this group has told me why they are quitting..how they are quitting and we are becoming friends individually as well as in the group...everytime I get a message from one of you who tells me how you are getting through a stressful or happy time..every time I get a message of how your vacation went and what your results from physical tests are ..we connect in a way that only a group of people NEW to quitting can..Please blog on this site ....all of you...each one of the 44 members to prove to the ones who question if we are really sincere about becoming non smokers..just put your quit date and if it applies how many days since your last cigarette..and yes all the days before you slipped do count....you DID not smoke those days..and you did NOT give up and just go back to smoking....we are not weak people..we are STRONG!!!  This is not the first attempt to quit by many of the members but it is the LAST time we will quit because it DOES AND WILL WORK for all of us....TOGETHER!!!  I am on DAY 36 of not lighting up a cigarette and I love my life and I am proud that I am doing this...you can too!!

{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Barbara in SC (Schoney50)

Tags (1)
16 Replies
Michwoman

Nice Barbara - but I am confused about the comment on counting the days you slipped. Can you clerify?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
SarahP

Hi Barbara, sorry to hear someone thinks we're too "social" around here, but I hope most folks understand that quitting is a life changing event, and by going through it together, friendships are naturally going to develop. 

But the primary reason we're here, including all of the elders who are still here, is to help people quit. 

Toward that end, please remember that a "slip" is actually a "relapse" and must be taken seriously. Re-setting your clock is painful but helps you emotionally accept responsibility for your choice and commit to choosing differently next time. This battle is won or lost inside our heads, and thinking that a "slip" has no consequences is a recipe for failure. 

We have lots of new quitters here who describe it exactly this way -- "I quit for 10 years, slipped up one weekend, and now I'm back on Day 1." Doesn't mean their 10 year quit wasn't a good accomplishment. But it shows that they accept responsibility for the fact that they're on Day 1, not Day 10-Years+1. 

Keep going strong, we're all heading toward the same goal!  NOPE!  

pir8fan

I am confused by all of this! Was this a blog or a post to a group? Is it a group that has 44 members? If so which group?

As far as being social here, I think we have to know people pretty well in order to respond when they have problems! And that is the main purpose here! To educate and support each other! As far as proving you are sincere about quitting, that is simple! Just commit to being smoke Free, and honor your word!

Not sure the counting thing is acurate! A quit has to be from the last time you smoked! Before that was the other time you quit! Otherwise, I could count the time between my birth and my first cigaterre! Counting the number of days you did not smoke is good! But it is not the same as counting the days since you smoked last!

Of course this is cyberspace and few know for sure who anyone else really is! In the end the only person we have to be honest with is ourself!

Tommy

jooch

I am 109 days free of the nicodemon and want to keep it that way.  If I slip and have one puff - I'm doomed.  I had quit for 10 years and all of sudden one day at a bar I thought I could get away with smoking one cigarette - that one led to sneaking cigs and then full blown in your face smoking for another 10 years.

NOPE for me.

joy41

It is a choice to smoke that one, or that one and the others that come after it, or a choice to start over quitting after smoking that one. 

It was painful to start my count over, but we all know that all decisions have consequences.  If I hadn't started my count over after smoking just that one, I probably would have thought after a week or two that maybe I could have that one cigarette once in a while.  If I acted on that thought, then I know in time I'd be right back to where I started from and be a full-fledge smoker again. 

I was proud of being smoke free for 87 days, but I was disappointed for deciding to smoke that 1.  It meant that I didn't totally commit to not smoking and was still looking for an excuse to have that one, even though I know that it doesn't change any circumstances, isn't good for me, is a nasty habit, etc. 

We only know we've got it right when we decide that, no matter what, we will never have that one.  So, I had been smoke free for 87 days.  I decided to smoke 1 cigarette.  Now, I've been smoke free for 17 days.

0 Kudos
imadeer

not one cig since 1-2-2007 (straight through)

and if i count the 18 years before i started smoking, I have a 24 year, 4 month quit!

this makes much more sense!

NOT

countrybugs

here I'll put it this way I have smoke for 20 yrs I quit for 3 months at a time in there a few times but as far as I'm concerned I've smoked for 20 years. those months don't mean anything I am not quitting for good but I have smoked for 20 yrs. 1 cigarette makes you a smoker again

0 Kudos
Nyima_1.6.13

Was the question about your 'newbies' group or the EX community as a whole? I think anyone who spends any time at all reading blogs will see that the primary goal here is to help each other quit and stay quit! Do we develop relationships, yes of course we do! I actually think people are very good about taking personal stuff to a group designed for it or to message boards? I'm confused by this blog!?!

0 Kudos
Nyima_1.6.13

Don't even get me stared on the "what counts as your quit date?" question! That makes me crazy! 

A 'puff' ends a quit! nuff said......

0 Kudos