cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mrs.-downs

Getting ready to stop smoking

Hey all,

I got my start date of September 1, 2012. Since I sent my date, I've been smoking like a choo-choo train. I mean back to back. Maybe I'm trying to smoke as many as I can before my quit date. Today I'm going to start writing down my many triggers, and try not to smoke as soon as I think about it. Anyone else have any suggestions? I am determined to quit this time.

Determined quitter.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Oh, yes -  LOTS of suggestions.  Firstly, do read Allen Carr's " Easy Way tp Stop Smking,"  While I never could wrap my mind around his "you can be happy quitting smoking because you aren't really givig anything up" philosophy - the book contained tons of information that I found useful in being xuccessful.  It is an easy, entertinining read/  One thng he does mention is that the wORST way to quit smoking is to try to limit the number of cirgarettes by only allowing youself, say, one every two hours.  He believes that only keeps your mind thinking about that cigarette every minute of every day and makes you want it even more  

I also chainn smokied leading up to my quit day - so don't despair.  I smoked for 40+ years and had never tried to quit before.  I had decided I was just not strong enough to be successful.  I have now been quit for 5 weeks - and trust me, if I can do this, EVERYONE can!  I very rarely now think much about smoking and when I do, it's more of a <"gee, I always used to smoke while I was here, or did this," than a real craving.   I won't say the first week wasn't awful because it was - which is the other reason I know I will not ever have another puff from a cigarette.  I never want to put myself through that again@

Best advice I can give you is to read, read, and learn as much as you can - and have a plan in place for the first week or so.  I sepnt tons of time here on this site the first days after quitting - And, finally, be 100% committed to success.  Don't think you can, but KNOW you can.  

Come here whenever you need some encouragement!

0 Kudos
mikecity

0 Kudos
oharalane

Congratulations on setting your quit date.  I am 8 days old today.  Prior to my quit date I read, read, read all the suggested material on this site, read the blogs and did a lot of searching on the internet on how to quit.  I also downloaded the Smoke Track App.  The app really opened my eyes as to when I smoked and gave me the opportunity to ponder why.  Best of luck.  You can do it.  One hour, one day at a time.

0 Kudos
ginger34

I would say follow the program on here. Def track, then seperate, etc. Make your quit plan and all they have you do on here : ) Oh and I read everything like 30 times 🙂

0 Kudos

whatta you tryin to do? smoke yer brain out? LOL

0 Kudos
Ex_Nancy

......................................................................................................................................................................

The most IMPORTANT thing you can do for your quit now is to educate yourself about the addiction and the mind games it plays on us....READ,READ,READ for a successful quit...the more you read, the EASIER it is...

CHOOSE to quit smoking, not try. Educate yourself by reading these links to the materials that most of us have used to help us quit and STAY quit! This is about making a DECISION to never put another cigarette in your mouth, mean it, and be committed to follow through on that decision. Also allow NO excuses AND hang in there for as long as it takes, no matter how uncomfortable you become.... This is about re-learning your life WITHOUT cigarettes....start changing your "normal" routine....because a smoker's routine revolves around cigarettes. You will be a nonsmoker so change how you start your morning so it doesn't revolve around cigarette breaks, etc. You CAN do this! ....

http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/Allen_Carr_s_Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking_Download_free_PDF

http://quitsmokingonline.com

0 Kudos
KatherineF

Reading helps.  Tracking triggers helps.  I too recommend reading Allen Carr's free ebook.  Attitude makes the difference.

http://whyquit.com

0 Kudos
melodee

I'm on my 4th or 5th day of non smoking. I can tell you the urges sometimes drives me crazy and the irritation I feel at times can drive anyone crazy. What took the cake this weekend was my partner was like hey if this is the way your going to be I will just go get you a pack of smokes. My thoughts were very unpleasant at the time I can assure you, but I never gave in. We both made it through the weekend but what surprised me the most is I told him to just walk away from me and that when I was agitated I wouldnt say a thing and he took it personally.  I quess that is his problem. Good Luck on your quit date. Just don't have any reminders sitting around the next morning. try to change up your habits a little so your not wanting a smoke.

0 Kudos
drae

ANYONE NEW preparing to quit?? All these posts are way old. I could use someone that is preparing to quit or just quit. Anyone out there?

0 Kudos