cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

macmann

tonight wow!!!!

i have to make a really long trip for work and i smoke like a train during this time. the stress levels are at their limits and it only so much i can do about that. i know im being foolish when i say i may fold tonight. this is only day 5 for me. Is this the type of things that happen when u quit??????

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
la2012

Macmann, please don't smoke - I know it is hard not too, we all know - believe, i know how hard it is - especially on a work trip, a road trip - every time i get in the car to pick up my daughter - a 30 minute trip up and 30 minute trip back - just don't - 5 days is 5 days - and think how your lungs have already started to recover.  Eat anything you want if you need to on the trip, sing to music, yell at talk radio - anything - but don't smoke. Here for u, Lisa

0 Kudos
Mamadoo

Noooooo! Don't do it! Think of going through those first 72 hours again. I agree with Lisa, do ANYTHING you want but smoke. Eat 5000 calories for all I care, just don't put yourself through this again. Wishing you the best!

0 Kudos

You've made a decision to be smoke-free, right?  So  you be smoke-free, NO MATTER WHAT!  Now, you figure out what to do instead.  Pay no mind to the chatter in your brain about smoking, put your mind to what you're going to do to cope with the stresses of this trip.

This is life, it's full of stresses, you're relearning life, that's all.  No big deal.

Take your candy, favorite drinks, books, laptop to keep in touch with us, etc. etc.  You figure it out, but you don't give yourself permission to smoke before you even get on the road!  persevere, my friend, a new life awaits you.

0 Kudos
babs13

Mac,

N.O.P.E.

Don't smoke, you will hurt your throat, short-term.

Long-term, you will lose your life. 

0 Kudos
donna-b2

that is the addiction talking.  you re learning life without nicotine and the addiction wants its fix, so it wants to convince you you cant make a five day trip without smoking.  of course you can.  life is ful of those habbitual times that you would light up.  look at it differently.  take different things on your trip  books on taype are so awsome!!! and free at any library.  take some induldgent foods to snack on  buy some new music to listen to  just dont smoke    "of course you can do this" is what you have to tell yourself.  have a great trip and stay in touch here if possible.  we are here.  dont listen to that dam addiction voice listen your inner self that has all these reasons for quitting.

0 Kudos
melissa131

Smoking isn't going to make a darn thing better. I like coffee stirrirs, I discovered them when my boyfriend was in the hospital from having a heart attack, from smoking. 

I would go down to the cafeteria get some coffeee, and raid their stirrirs then sit in the room and chew on them. Take deep breaths, also Jolly Ranchers, if your teeth are up to it. If you can take the salt, pumpkin seeds are good. These are all things that can be found at any gas station, convienience store, truck stop etc. 

You can do it, if you want to, just gotta want it. 

0 Kudos
misty_dawn

Distraction, distraction, distraction....and a straw.  This passes, but quitting is very minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day...

And then those days weeks, then months, then years....

Keep putting one foot in front of the other in front of the other.

0 Kudos
vasta88-2

I agree. This feeling happens to all of us, but you can get through this. Keep your hands, your mouth, and your mind busy. Snacks, drinks, toothpicks, music, books on tape, a stress ball, gum. Anything you can think of that you enjoy. Do you have your list of reasons you quit? reread those. Tape them to the dashboard and read them on refueling and bathroom breaks if you don't have anyone else in the car to read them to you. You absolutely can do this. You've done so well already. Don't give up on yourself.

0 Kudos