cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

leisha_91713

Starting Over.......Again

Quit AGAIN February 18th. This is my last of many quits. One thing I have learned from all of my quits: Never get complacent, and never leave your support system. My most successful quit was three years. I quit visiting the site I used then to help me quit, I was bored with it and simply didn't think I needed it. It had been three years, Surely I had "this"! It was a year or so after that, I became complacent, out with friends for drinks, thought I can have just one. WRONG! Quit down the toilet. That was in 08, and here I am quitting. I have to stay here, keep my reenforcement no matter how long it's been. I have to remember 2 years from now that I am STILL an addict and still need help to remain free from the nicotine. I will live by the motto: N.O.P.E......Not One Puff Ever!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

Welcome, and thank you for sharing this! We all need the reminder to stay on our toes and protect our quits everyday!

0 Kudos
Kimshine

Hi Leisha,

Welcome back!

Thank you for sharing your story.

Stay close to us and blog so we can help you through tough times. 

You know it can be done!!

Kim

Did you read Allen Carr in the past?

0 Kudos
mrs.-almost2

Welcome back to being a non-smoker.  I have quit many times in the past, too, but somehow this quit feels different for me. (This is the first time I have used any type of support; must be the key!)

Stay strong and come to this site often.  Read the Allen Carr book as well.

You're in good company here.  We all understand what you're going through.

0 Kudos
Ex_Nancy

Hi Liesha and welcome back to Ex! You've called yourself a 'serial quitter"...what will you do different this time around? 

The most IMPORTANT thing you can do for your quit now is to educate yourself about the addiction and the mind games it plays on us....READ,READ,READ for a successful quit...the more you read, the EASIER it is...

CHOOSE to quit smoking, not TRY. Educate yourself by reading these links that most of us have used to help us quit and STAY quit! This is about making a DECISION to never put another cigarette in your mouth, mean it, and be committed to follow through on that decision. Also allow NO excuses AND hang in there for as long as it takes, no matter how uncomfortable you become.... This is about re-learning your life WITHOUT cigarettes....start changing your "normal" routine....because a smoker's routine revolves around cigarettes. You will be a nonsmoker so change how you start your morning so it doesn't revolve around cigarette breaks, etc. You CAN do this! ....

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

Allan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking -

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

0 Kudos
Ex_Nancy

Also, use these coping techniques: 

Stay close to this site and remember NOPE=Not One Puff Ever...and as long as you stick to this ONE SIMPLE rule, you will win....it the meantime, drink plenty of fresh cold water to rid your body of the toxins,6 smaller, nutritious meals throughout the day to keep your blood-sugar levels steady, (don't diet!)......and it will keep your blood sugar level and the low blood sugar induced fogginess and craves away.

....take big arm STRETCHES as often as needed to relax tense muscles and most importantly, take big DEEP BREATHS TO RELAX AND RELIEVE anger... take a nap, take walks, stay buzy with something you LIKE and brush you teeth immediately after each meal...stick your head in the freezer and DEEP BREATHE....If you bite into a lemon, the smoking thought will be gone instantly...try it, it works, also suck on sugarfree hard candy or lollipops and one of my friends here says be sure to use the Halls mentholyptus cough drops......Be prepared in advance for it,not surprised by it...Smoking thoughts only have power when you have fear. Face it head on and do not try to run or hide. You have the strength and power to tell it NO...You have the CHOICE to tell it NO. Each time you get a smoking urge, immediately DISTRACT yourself and kick the thought out of your head!!! ..http://whyquit.com/joel/mp3/listen.html ---free link to Joel's Jukebox at whyquit.com

0 Kudos
I_am_free

That one cigarette will get you every time.  I'm glad you are with us here on this site.  The support here has been my foundation to stay true to my quit.  You will do it this time.

0 Kudos
Buddy12

golly.....thanks for your story.....it will serve to show what can happen.....I can learn from this.....thanks, again.   Please keep blogging and let us know how you are doing. Good luck to you.

0 Kudos
donna30

thanks for sharing this post about your relapse. i too had over a yr and picked up for a few days and got back at it and then after over 300 days relapsed again. now i've done it again and can't afford to as my health is suffering from this killer. i plan to reset my clock for midnight tonight and am motivated to do this. i too thought i could leave this site and didn't need to come back for support and i was wrong. i need this site with the wonderful people i've met and who have helped me stay free from cigarettes! i will pray we both keep our quits now!

0 Kudos

Hi Leishamon! I'm new to the EX site, but not new to quitting.  This is my 11th quit and hopefully my last.  I downloaded Allen Carr's Book the EASYWAY to Quit Smoking.  I Hope is works.  My quit date in June 16, 2013.  I really like your NOPE=No Puffs Ever statement.  That will help alot!  I'm sure that we can do together what one can't do alone!  That's something I learned many years ago!  Let's beat this nicotine addiction!

0 Kudos