cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JACKIE1-25-15

Plan, Prepare, Persevere

I live in Virginia where the weather dramatically changes from morning to noon and night.  You always have to have this extra jacket or sweater for the “just in case “ temperature drop.  You don’t want to get caught without the proper clothing.   It is like the “roller coaster ride” of our quit so many of us speak about.  

So you just quit smoking.  Unless you are different from most quitters along comes cravings, urges and withdrawal.  Others may deal with anxiety, mood swings, insomnia and depression.   This is the side of the quit that we just don’t like but we have to go through it in order to be nonsmokers.  To make it easier we have to have a plan prepared along with backup so when these cravings and urges hit you can persevere and not smoke.

My # 1 rule was no matter what…no excuses ...I am not going to take not one puff!!!!!! NOPE, (Period)    It is quite true, it is not a cigarette or two or even a pack, it is the “puff” that will get you every time.  EX taught me that.   

#2  .  Early in my quit I did not venture to the places that were associated with smoking.  (If you want to lose a quit….go to a bar early on and start drinking)

#3   Breathing  It is on auto pilot now.  I used a breathing technique that helped me go through withdrawal.  You may laugh, it was the same technique used for birthing.   I still use it today when I get excited about anything.  It has saved many other’s lives from me. lol

#4   I was prepared with an ample supply of water.  The colder the better.  I was making Deer Park rich.  Freeze pops, chewing gum, cough drops.   I stayed busy, or  was on the site reading, blogging or studying.  

Education is the major key to success.

#5 If things get rough, plan to have someone to call.  It is important to have personal support as well as this site.  Make friends,  you will be amazed the difference it makes.

# 6 If you are riding the roller coaster, don’t fight it just ride it. It won’t last that long and you will not die.  Just hold on, scream if you have to and Breathe.  If you persevere you will eventually be able to ride with your hands up in the air because you are FREE!.

These are just a few highlights that helped me to persevere for 420 days because SINAO ......SMOKING IS NO  AN OPTION FOR ME. You can develop your own that work for you.  Just Plan and Prepare to Persevere.  It will make your quit a lot easier.

Tags (1)
5 Replies
cpsono

I love this blog Jackie...so important for newcomers because it is such practical advice.  Like you cold water and breathing were and are my two best friends.  Thank you my friend.   CP 299

0 Kudos
Lovin_Life

I am a newcomer and LOVE this Jackie thanks so much you had already helped me and this too helps!!! 

Hugs to you

0 Kudos

So great and inspiring!

0 Kudos
Strudel

Bravo! Great blog Jackie! 

0 Kudos
meWisconsin

You hit all the major points. Great job Jackie.

Terry

0 Kudos