cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JACKIE1-25-15

Get pass it.

My quit date was Jan 25th.. It has not been as difficult as in the past.  Yesterday, I started doing my income taxes and of course the thought of a cig and the urge to smoke arose, but I was able to get pass it.  I have realized that I can get pass it.  I can get pass the urge to smoke.  It only last for about 1 minute now and only 3-4 times a day.  Before I allowed stress to be an excuse. But I am preparing myself when a stressful situation arises.  I keep telling myself that the urge is not going to last that long.  I tell myself NO and mean it.  It may be that the urge may never go away. I just have to keep telling myself no.  When i say no the urge stops. 

I think I have done well.  At first I really didnt tell anyone what I was trying to do.  But i finally mentioned it to a few people even the clerk at the store where I USED to buy cigarettes.  Havent seen her lately... I have to think like it is over, no more trying to find a place to smoke.  No more spraying to get rid of the odor.    Yesterday I transfered $24.00 to my savings account. That is what I spend in a week on cigarettes.  I am anxious to see my money grow.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Very Good.

A phrase I suggest saying when you get the urge is

"I don't do that anymore."

It reenforces your direction and if you say it out loud, it will overcome any crave.

I am including a link to what I wish I had known when I wuit 8 years ago.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-...

0 Kudos

wuit is not a word. QUIT is what I meant to say.

0 Kudos

have you really changed your user name three times in the past month or is it the site that's gone wanky?

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

And, be sure to plan something special for yourself with the money you are saving.  It's important to reward yourself for your hard work!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations, absolutely, DO plan something for yourself with your savings.  This is a wonderful journey and you will learn all kinds of things about yourself AND about other people while you are open to learning them.  I am really happy for you.

0 Kudos

I am so proud of you! Remember - you're one puff away from a pack. Fear cigarettes! Say this with me: I will not smoke today.

0 Kudos
Diane145

Hi Jackie!

Just checking in and hoping you are doing well being smoke free!  Have you noticed any changes??

Keep going girl!!

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congrats JACKIE1-25-15‌ It was great to see this gem of a blog in the January Quitters‌! Times have changed huh? What has that $24 grown into?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos