cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

stuntluke

6 days and counting

I ditch the dip in 6 days!  I can honestly say I am looking forward to it.  I am constantly dehydrated and tired.  I have tried to quit cold turkey in the past and it never works.  This time I'm using this site for support, as well as nicotine gum.  Normal gum and sunflower seeds just don't cut it when life starts to hit you.  Also, in the past, I've tried to get a lot of dipping in before I decide to quit.  This just floods my body with Nicotine so that it's even more difficult the day i quit.  This time, I am going to ease off of it.  So starting today, I'm weening off.  Instead of keeping a chew in for 1 hour, I'm gonna do 30 minutes.  3 times a day for 30 minutes.  In a couple days I'll drop to 2 times a day for 3 minutes.  Then in another couple days, 1 time for 30 minutes.  Then on the 6th day.....  ZERO!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
cspelliott

Sounds like a good plan.. one thing my cousin did when quitting was to get the beef jerky snuff, and cut it with some of his dip. then got to where he only had the jerky only and at that point worked at quitting the habbit of having a chew in his lip with the jerky.. don't know if this works for everyone, but that was 5 years ago.

good luck

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Instead of coming up with a plan out of the air, I recommend that you educate yourself and look at the processes that are tried and true.  Then you can make an educated plan.

Did you know that the anxiety you felt when you quit before was caused by the nicotine receptors in your brain demanding to be fed?  You are a nicotine ADDICT and there ARE withdrawal symptoms.  The most important thing you can do  is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” Just susbsitute dip everyone it says smoke! This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. As well, you might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com.  Do the tracking and separation exercises on this site, too.

After you have completed the readings, it will be time to make your educated quit plan, including what quit aid , if any, you will use, and the crave busters you think will work for you. Then you can approach your quit day with a plan in place. 

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it.  We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
froguelady

I agree with Nancy, educate yourself to the power of addiction to nicotine. Listen to the "elders" here, take their advice cause they know how to quit and stay quit. Read as much as you can. I like whyquit.com.  It has very good info that will help you understand your quit.

Betty

3/16/11

0 Kudos
Polynha

Sounds like you have a good plan but listen to Nancy and educate yourself about this adiction, it will pay off to know what to expect. You can do it!

0 Kudos
Courage

Agreed, listen to Nancy; this will prepare you far more than anything.

Two weeks quit, this was the route I took.

You can do this! 

0 Kudos
Storm.3.1.14

Great plan, Luke! Proud of you for scaling back in these final 6 days! Those 6 days are also plenty of time to read up on the emotional and mental aspects of breaking away from the addictive habit. And, in addition to the nicotine gum, think about some physical strategies you can use when "life starts to hit" you. Walking, cycling, free weights, jumping jacks, push-ups...you get the gist.

You've got this, man. Just keep thinking forward and working to make it happen.

STORM (Day 31)

0 Kudos