cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ktmay

Quit Date March 1, 2013

I am having major surgery in March so I decided now is the right time to stop smoking forever. I had quit before and stayed smoke free for five years, it only took one cigarette to start up again, that was eight years ago. I am a little nervous about handling the stress of not smoking and my recovery from surgery; any suggestions are welcome and would be appreciated.

Happy Friday to All!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
alysonoholic

Welcome, kt and congratualtions on making the choice to be FREE!!!

I think it would be very useful for you to read Allen Carr's book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking"  to learn how to accept that this is an addiction and that we have to retrain our brains to understand that smoking isn't a helpful or acceptable way to deal with anything in our lives. The free PDF is here: http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf Also, look around the blogs and see how your fellow addicts are fighting the good fight right along with you! Work the steps on the site, get your badges and you'll feel your resolve getting stronger.

The fear is TOTALLY normal - it's the addiction fighting you for your freedom. If you do the reading and prepare yourself for what is ahead, you will have a much better chance at success.

wishing you all the luck!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I quit smoking three weeks before major surgery.  Trust me - you will feel so lousy when you first come home, it won't be a problem!  As you start to feel better, change your routine....change what you eat/drink when you first get up - change your location..........your quit plan will need to take into account what you are allowed to do after - so you might not be able to go for a brisk walk and deep breathing might need to be substituted.

I worried about the same thing ----- but if you really think about how much more difficult it will be to heal if you smoke, that may help, as well!

You can always PM me with detailed questions.  I am happy to help any way I can!

Nancy

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

P.S.  I forgot to mention I also used frozen Hershey Kisses as my cigarette substitute for the most important ones of the day.  I ate more than my share of those, but when the need was over, so was my consumption of them!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Ex_Nancy

Smoking will not fix stress, it creates stress....as well, smoking will not fix anything. It's just a lie of the addiction. Also remember that most surgeons won't operate on you if you're a smoker and your chances of healing will be greatly diminished if you smoke after surgery. Smoking cessation is the BEST possible thing you can do for your health now.

The most IMPORTANT thing you can do for your quit now is to educate yourself about the addiction and the mind games it plays on us....READ,READ,READ for a successful quit...the more you read, the EASIER it is...

CHOOSE to quit smoking, not TRY. Educate yourself by reading these links that most of us have used to help us quit and STAY quit! This is about making a DECISION to never put another cigarette in your mouth, mean it, and be committed to follow through on that decision. Also allow NO excuses AND hang in there for as long as it takes, no matter how uncomfortable you become.... This is about re-learning your life WITHOUT cigarettes....start changing your "normal" routine....because a smoker's routine revolves around cigarettes. You will be a nonsmoker so change how you start your morning so it doesn't revolve around cigarette breaks, etc. You CAN do this! ....

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

Allan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking -

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

0 Kudos
ktmay

Thank you so much for all the great new ideas to help me become a successful nonsmoker. I will definitely check out Allen Carr's book since I am an avid reader, I can read it while I am still at the hospital recovering from surgery. I should be able to start walking by myself two weeks post op, I intend to use exercise as a tool to help me through my nicotine cravings and keep my weight down. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Strudel

Hi and welcome to the site? Definitely do the reading Nancy gave you - I suggest going ahead and reading it now! That way you will be prepared for your quit day! You can do this! Remember - N.O.P.E. - Not One Puff Ever! Stay close! 

0 Kudos
ktmay

I purchased the Allen Carr book and have it on my Kindle, I will start reading it now. I think it will become my go to when a craving hits. 

0 Kudos