cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ana19

August 27, 2015 Is My Quit Date

Is anyone still in this group.  Please write back.  Thank you.  I will be starting Day One when I wake up in the morning and I'm already thinking too much.  Any help or advice?

Tags (1)
6 Replies
mkspc

I'm not in the group. Just joined myself, but good luck.  Don't go backwards. You can do this. 

0 Kudos
Eric_L.

Bookend your days here.

You can do this.

When your brain tells you that nicotine will reduce your anxiety know it is a lie because it raises your hr and bp.  Nicotine lies about a lot of other stuff, too.

The physical withdrawal passes shortly and then you will have to address your thinking.  BUT, not today.

Today, think, I don't do that anymore and try and distract yourself.  Chew on 1/3 cut straws.  Drink water.

Don't pick it up and you can't smoke.

Come back here tonight and let us know what happened either way.

You can do this.

Willingness, not willpower, to do something different.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations Ana on your decision to commit to stop smoking.  Welcome to the Ex Community.  Our resolve is to never smoke again.  NOPE Not one puff ever.  I suggest that you follow the steps on the web page along with reading, writing, studying, researching.   This all about you and what you are willing to do to be a non smoker.  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf  

Also check out www.whyquit.com. There is a lot of beneficial information.  Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  Nicotine Addiction 101.  Stay close to the site and learn, ask questions. Read the blogs enjoy your commitment to quit smoking.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome back  to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I also  highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read and makes a great crave buster!  folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

Are you using a quit aid?  Please let us know so we can coach you appropriately.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hello Ana----If you were posting in a Group you might find you get no answer. The groups on EX are not very active....but here at the blogs....it's JUMPING all the time! And you will get a response here 24/7!

My theory on why the Groups are not that active is that a quitter is a quitter........doesn't matter if you are an October quitter or a Jersey quitter. Doesn't matter if you are a female quitter, male quitter------ over 60 or under 30.....quitting smoking is pretty much the same for everyone.....put them down....don't pick them up again.

Come here to the blogs and read or write one of your own as you did today. This is EX and we are all here for each other. WELCOME.

0 Kudos
suzykely

today is my day one! i just happen to be ready a day before the day i had set, and so i have quit!  i feel ready for this. going in with a good positive attitude!

0 Kudos