cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bonniebee

e- cigarettes

I know many group members do not like the idea of an e-cig but they are helping me through the tough times, I only take 2 puffs at a time and only 3 or 4 times a day , I do not want to be addicted to those either ! I intend to wean myself off asap. I know they are healthier than smoking because my lungs have already cleared up so much since I am only smoking a half a cig a day. I just smoked my last cigarette as  of tomorrow I will be smoke free . I am going to stay on the patch much longer this time around . I once talked to a man who had tried to quit over and over and was finally in his third year of no smoking . I asked him how he had done it and he said he stayed on the patch for an entire year . Well that seems like a long time but when one considers all the years smoking  cigarettes it puts one year in a different perspective . One of the videos on this site said the question is asked "How long should one keep using nicotine replacements ? His answer was " as long as it takes."

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

You talked to ONE MAN and he said he stayed on the patch a year an that's what you are basing your decision on?

How about Mike's friend who is still using nicotine gum after 15 years?

One point:

The patch does not keep anyone from thinking of smoking, all it does is deliver nicotine.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Do you REALLY want to conttinue to give Big Tobacco your money for a YEAR?  Somehow you have it in your head that quitting smoking is just so awful, so difficult, so, well, impossible, that you cannot possibly do it.

Bull Hockey!!!!

Everyone here felt that way - trust me.  We had all been brainwashed into believing that is true.  Spend some time on the pages of the elders here and read their blogs from the beginning of their quits (click on their avatar to get there.  I think you will find that most everyone felt as you do.  It's just quite simply not true. 

Nancy

0 Kudos
GreenThumb3

I used E cig for 4 months my sinuses killed me the whole time then went back to smoking  also different flavors will make you cough none of flavors are tested for vaping temps some are tested for safe eating totally different also the taste changes as coils on devise burns out kind of a battery taste ? Who at this point knows if they are safe I would stay away I quit cold turkey finaly 426 days just takes time no charging batteries no weird monkey on my back you can do it don't get upset with comments just do your reserch if needed but not from vape groups I can find you info that says Chrystal Meth is good for you if I look hard enough 

MarilynH

Here in Canada, we're getting all negative and scary reviews from the E Cigs there's been no government testing on them and their beginning to find proof they can cause lung infections. Maybe do some of your own research on them .I quit cold turkey 209 days ago on the 14th I will have 7 months in smoke free. It really is so doable, I wish you all the best and stay close to this site we are all rooting for you. 

Marilyn 

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I guess I just have failed so many times before that I want to arm myself in any way possible for me it does feel like a battle .I am not planning to stay on the patch for a year but I am not going to be in a big hurry to get off of it and the e- cig ? I am very "cheap " about using it I don't want to spend the money ! I only take a coulple of puffs a few times a day . My lungs feel so much better right now just from not smoking a pack a day I am looking forward to being off all nicotine products ! Also I live with a smoker which makes it a temptation but it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be ! 

Bonnie,

You will do what you want.

The psychological addiction (memories, emotions and just plain repetition) is what drives people to smoke after they've quit, not the nicotine. The nicotine is out of your system in 72 hours. There are 2-3 weeks of uneasyness/discomfort

When someones quit is based wholly upon nicotine I believe they become psychologically addicted to the nicotine and then come to believe they can't stay smokefree without it. Believing that might keep you from smoking but it is not true.

Nicotine replacement therapy works best to relieve the physical symptoms of withdrawal while you unlearn the habit (psychological) part of smoking. It is not intended to replace smoking.

An ecig, is intended to replace smoking. You can never forget about smoking as long as you are pretending to smoke.

In the end, using a nrt is simply sort of a deal a person makes with himself in lieu of smoking. So if you can make a deal with yourself that you won't smoke because you are using an NRT, what's keeping you from making a deal with yourself to go another route.

I always tell people to forget about all their past quits because as in your case, I feel they have made you feel like you can't quit.

It's really all about willingness and your decision whether you use an NRT or not. Look back at your prior quits and see if you were willing or fighting yourself.

0 Kudos