cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marie0991

getting started

Hello.

I know that this is not going to be easy. I have been up for almost and hour and now that I am about to start homework i want a smoke badly. I didn't know it be this hard.

Marie

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
SarahP

Hi Marie,

You were given some great advice in your last blog, including some "homework" to do. Until you understand this addiction and the tricks it plays, you will continue to struggle. Please take the time to do some reading: 

The free Allen Carr book you can download at:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

The 10-lesson course at:
http://www.quitsmokingonline.com

You want to smoke because you are going through nicotine withdrawal. That's normal. There are ways to cope with the cravings and get past them. 

You can do this! 

0 Kudos
marie0991

thanks

0 Kudos
LouiseR

Hi Marie,
Its ok to feel uncomfortable as the nicotine is leaving your body.  Take deep breaths and just let the feeling flow through you and I promise you the feeling will pass.  You can do this.  Read, read, read and educate yourself.  We are all here for you.

0 Kudos
marie0991

Louise I wanta throw up right about now

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Focus on something else.   Tell yourself you will do squats for 20 times.    Look around the room and name 8 things that are green.    Go drink a whole glass of water.   

Focus on something else besides how miserable you feel.

It will pass but you have to do something until it does.

0 Kudos
marie0991

How long does it take to pass?

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

3-5 minutes.   You may get hit with another right away....keep doing the distracting.   It does get easier, you have to work on it.     Have you done your homework?   You need to understand about this addiction!

0 Kudos
LouiseR

Hang in there Marie. Keep working it.  Its the stupid little nicotine monster roaring its ugly head is all.  sips of water, deep breathing, chewing on a straw.  It will pass and it will get easier!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Marie,

Sorry to be late to your "party."

It sounds to me like you are trying to use willpower; trust me, that won't work!  This quitting takes preparation and some work.  It isn't easy, but it IS doable....but you can't just expect yourself to "muddle through."

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette.  NO!"  Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!   There are hundreds of distractions to choose from ---- including marching in place, doing jumping jacks, taking a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), doing a crossword or playing a computer game.  Slow deep breaths work, as do mind games like female first names of every alphabet letter.........The better you get at distraction, the less frequent and intense your craves will become.

0 Kudos