cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

PastTense

Punishment or Reward

Some people smoke to avoid negative effects of withdrawal while others are more driven by the rewarding aspects of smoking. (www.drugabuse.gov)

I saw this on the Drug Abuse website and have been mulling over it for days.

What do you think about this?  Which kind of smoker were you?

Keep the Quit
PT
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Barbscloud

@PastTense  Where exactly is the article your referring to.

Barb

0 Kudos
PastTense

Here is the link to the full article. What are treatments for tobacco dependence? | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

It was interesting to me to read about smoking as an addiction and look at the treatment options available for addiction.

We don't really expect any other addicted person to pull themselves out of the hole, do we?

Keep the Quit
PT
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@PastTense Some good articles here.  Did you see this one.

Are there gender differences in tobacco smoking? | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

Results from neuroimaging studies suggest that smoking activates men’s reward pathways more than women's. This finding is consistent with the idea that men smoke for the reinforcing effects of nicotine, whereas women smoke to regulate mood or in response to cigarette-related cues. A study of stress responses and craving among male and female smokers who were trying to quit found that during abstinence, lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol predicted relapse in men. However, high cortisol levels were predictive of relapse in women.

0 Kudos
PastTense

This would indicate that different quitting methods might be more effective for different addiction triggers.

I would be very interested in studies that explore this.

Keep the Quit
PT
0 Kudos
GrandmaCj

@PastTense 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46863 try this discussion it's very informative to what you're asking. 

Caroline 

Caroline
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@GrandmaCj Which post are you looking at?

0 Kudos
PastTense

I was looking to start a conversation and see how Exers approach to quitting matched their reason for smoking.  Or if they even ever thought about it!  

Keep the Quit
PT