cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Lindarivera

New to copd

Last week I was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia - the dr mentioned that she thinks I have copd.  I’m overwhelmed - does that mean I’m going to die? How much time do I have ? Do stem cell work ? Do inhalers help w symptoms or does it stop or slow progress of disease.? What about cardio ? Will that stop it ? I have not had a follow up w de - she is not available till February ? I’m so anxious idk what to do !

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
42 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Are you smoking?  If so - the sooner you stop the slower the progression of the disease will be.  If you do a search for COPD from the upper right hand corner with the magnifying glass, tons of informational blogs will be available for you to read.  The first thing you need to get done is a spirometry test - it will determine the extent of damage that exists.  They can send you to a rehab and give you exercises to do to slow the progression, as well.

No idea what stage of the disease you may be in, but it's probably not life threatening if you are asymptomatic. 

Let us know if you need to quit smoking - and I will give you lots of good information to help you prepare and plan for it.

I'm glad you are here!

Nancy

jeanriden

I have copd and also wanting to quit smoking so good luck with you quitting and pray I ccx an also quit

YoungAtHeart

@jeanriden 

Welcome!

Although I saw your response I fear most in the community may not.  To remedy that, I recommend you write a blog to introduce yourself to the community (Ex Community-top left; then center blue box-"Post a Journal/Blog").  You might include your smoking history, why you want to quit, your quit date if you have set one, and anything else about yourself you care to share.  You will reach a wider audience this way.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@jeanriden Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  I was diagnosed with mild emphysema over 4 years ago.  That was my motivation to finally quit smoking and I think it has been for many others.  

I see you've picked a quit date. That's fabulous.  Now is the time to prepare for your quit. 

I have numerous attempts at quitting and it finally took me 50 years to get it right.  What was different this time?  I had a quit date, an aid, a class and cut down for a week. Sounds like a road to success.  I was fortunate to find the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I learned about nicotine addiction and that I needed a plan that would prepare for what I was going to encounter on my journey.  And for the first time, I had the support of fellow quitters.

Take the time to learn how to do this.  Part of it is mindset and part of it is hands on work identifying triggers, what tools you'll use, what associations you'll create instead of smoking, etc.   Spend time on the site, getting a well as giving support.  The early days take commitment so why not have other quitters to help you deal with the up and downs of this journey.

This link is a great place to start

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here for you so reach out anytime we can help.  Going for walk if your able,  is a great way to refocus your thinking and get an added boost of dopamine.   Spend time on the site when you need it the most 

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 13th.  Begin your day by taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barbscloud_0-1669810899201.jpeg

Barb

What is the Daily Pledge? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

0 Kudos

Hey there!

Like Nancy, I'm wondering if you're still smoking. There is a group for COPD on this web site, which it looks like you found? That area is jam packed with information from others who have been diagnosed with the same affliction. I also have a mild case of COPD. 

The first thing you need to know is how far the disease has progressed. I've never really understood why a doctor would tell someone they think they have COPD without also wanting to find out for sure right away. Anyway, there are some people on this site who are really knowledgeable about COPD. Some that come to mind are elvan and Thomas3.20.2010‌. I've mentioned them here so hopefully they see it and stop by!

One thing I can say is that if you're not smoking anymore, symptoms from COPD progress more slowly. Please let us know how you're doing!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Lindarivera

Yes I quit smoking . I had pneumonia and couldn’t breathe on my own never mind smoke . They took me off lexapro too cause they said it was hurting my heart. They put me on Wellbutrin but I have to tell you - I’m irritable and grumpy ! They say they can’t do the copd test until I totally recover from pneumonia . I got out of hospital last Sunday and I’m just now able to walk upstairs w/o getting out of breath. I get very dizzy - do you get dizzy ?

Linda

Sent from my iPhone

Barbscloud

I'm not a doctor, but from what I've read 20% of smokers get COPD.   Because you smoked long doesn't mean you probably have it.  What kind of a medical diagnosis is that?   Welbutrin is also used to help you quit smoking.  I used it for this quit.   You have several things going.  Even the Webutrin could be making you dizzy.  You would be short of breath from the pneumonia.   I understand your concern, but try to calm down.   This is a great time to do some deep breathing techniques.  If COPD is confirmed, then you discuss treatments.