cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Maki

COPD

It is better but the tests don't show that it's better . It shows it's progressing slowly .

The fact is that there is no cure , that I have moderate copd with overlapping asthma . It is important to stay quit . It's important to not take a puff . It's important for someone with COPD OR NOT not take a chance , not to think you could be the exception that because your lungs are clear your good .

It's important not to take risks .

I knew for a fact I had COPD yet chose not to hear the diagnosis nor share it and smoked anyway . Denial bought me more time to smoke . That was not a smart move l,

Facing the truth is hard but it's the first step to health . That is the better choice . 

Dont ignore the warning signs . 

I can't tell you how much changing just two things in my life made such a difference in how I feel . Quitting smoking and walking has changed how I can breathe . Every crave was worth getting past and through . Craves are curable  , COPD not . 

Take back your power . Choose not to smoke today . Walk out those craves and breathe ! 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Brava!

No message better than that from the voice of experience!

Thank you for writing it.   I just know it will help another!

Nancy

sweetplt

Hi Maki...I agree with Nancy “No better message then from the voice of experience”...I have asthma and I haven’t had a bought in about one year...which is encouraging...I still fear COPD someday, but then I say to myself, “you are trying the best you can Colleen, by quitting, walking, running and using those lungs...”...Thank you for this reminder...Colleen 612 DOF 

elvan

Thanks for sharing, unfortunately, I knew I had COPD too, as a retired RN, I also knew how terrified patients with COPD were.  I cannot say that I have had a great return in my breathing since I quit, I did have surgery a year and ten months after I quit and they removed both of my upper lobes of my lungs because they were so damaged.  The surgery was almost five years ago and they kept telling me that it was not a cure but that the BEST I could hope for would be a increased quality of life for 3-5 years.  I will be at 5 years in November so I guess I might be reaching that point when the surgery is really not helping much.  I am oxygen at night, I am now short of breath with the very LEAST bit of exertion.  I would not wish this on anyone.  Between the shortness of breath and the fatigue, this disease rules my life.  I am so glad that I quit smoking and stopped contributing to its progress.  

Ellen

Maki

Thankyou as well elvan for sharing your experience with us . Hopefully it helps others understand that it's important to be real about the relationship they have with smoking and see the lies that stand in the way of their quitting .

We both protected our addiction it seems more than our lungs .

I know I gave cigarettes credit in dealing with stress and in maintaining a healthy weight which simply was not true . It caused more stress and the weight was dangerously unhealthy . Vaping again , manufacturers , sellers and users  sending dangerous dangerous messages : wrong messages . 

Breathe clean fresh air everyone . Don't smoke . You don't know how important that is until it is too late . 

You Are Worth It . 

indingrl

I love Leslie Sansone aerobic walking - she is a good coach too- just SHARING - Thanks for SHARING Maki and CONGRATS staying a NON SMOKER no matter what  

Strudel

Great blog Maki - thanks! 

0 Kudos

I wouldn't wish COPD on my worst enemy. It breaks my heart that you and I and other exers have it.

YoungAtHeart

And it breaks my heart, too,  Thomas3.20.2010

Maki

Jan  2021 

Yesterday I received a call from Pulmonary Rehab . Because of covid my first contact with them was by telephone . We talked about inhalers , talked about excersise , about pursed lip breathing and diaphragm breathing . We talked about knowing our triggers , how to even cough in a way that will help clear our lungs . She gave out information of what to do when you have an exasperation and when to go to the hospital . 

Her opening question was how long did you smoke ? 

I never did have a smokers cough ( by the way)  yet I have now got borderline mod /severe COPD  . ( I like to think moderate I thought because I wasn't like most smokers who hack away in the morning that I could still smoke , cause I heard or saw no reason not to . I didn't have the symptoms of copd , or cancer or arteriosclerosis or heart disease . A cough to me was a warning to stop smoking and I didn't have that ... at least from the outside you couldnt tell I had copd ... but our lungs are pretty telling from the inside with tests . 

Lung function tests are a pretty easy way of telling how your lungs are functioning .

Don't let that scare you . It's a pretty simple test . The sooner you treat copd the sooner you can get a handle on it .

So if you are wondering what it's like to have a lung function test just read , read some of the articles here from other members who have been  through it and have documented some of their copd journey  . 

The number one best thing you can do for yourself today is quit smoking . The next in my opinion is start walking and keep walking . It will make a huge difference in your life . 

Like Thomas says ( and do read his blogs and others ) there is so much good information in that copd group and like he says and others say we do not wish copd on anyone . Please keep quit . You are not taking the journey alone here . We will walk with you .